Home Sweet Home: A Personal Reflection

Home Sweet HomeGoing home is a funny thing, and it feels different for everyone. It feels different every time you go home, and the feeling can even change while you are home. So while I sit here, hanging out with my senior citizen of a dog watching Home Alone, I’ll try to capture that feeling as best I can.

I guess it all starts with the celebratory relief of finishing finals. After putting our bodies and minds through two weeks of varying levels of sleep, stress and studying, getting home simply means being able to relax. There is essentially nothing important to think about for two and a half weeks. It’s awesome.

Of course, next is the terrific feeling of actually getting home. For me, that’s taking my first steps on the frozen Rhode Island tundra, taking my first sip of a Dunkin iced coffee (yes, iced) and – most importantly – the warm embrace of my family. I’d be perfectly content sitting around all break, spending my time off just chatting and catching up. If there’s one thing I miss most while away at school, it’s seeing my family every day.

But, of course, after escaping the countless hugs of your family, it’s time to see your friends. No matter how many new friends I make at school, there is still something about spending quality time with the people I grew up with that will never get old. Whether we’re reminiscing about old memories or making new ones, there is rarely a dull moment when we all get back together.

Every break, though, I really miss Georgetown. I miss the sights, sounds and most of all, the people. As great as my family and old friends are, it is always a bit bittersweet to return home.

What stands out to me the most at home are the little things, the things that I just didn’t appreciate as much as I should have before I left for school: the feeling of my bed, the smell of the air and the taste of my mom’s glorious cooking. The sense of everything and everyone coming together to celebrate. The most consistent, defining feeling of being home is appreciation.

Over the coming weeks, take the time to appreciate. While I don’t think there is anything wrong with feeling ready to head back to the Hilltop at the end of break, be sure to enjoy the little things (and the big ones, too) while you are home.

Happy holidays, Hoyas!