Loud and Proud in the Capital

Gayest City In AmericaStep aside New York and San Fran, there is a new LGBT-friendly city on top!

According to DCist, The Advocate has determined that Washington, D.C., is the most gay-tolerant city in the United States. Surprisingly, previously believed “gay cities” like NYC and LA weren’t even in the top 10!

The Advocate’s list was determined by using unusual methods and data, which Advocate editor-in-chief Matthew Breen has described as “designed to uncover the hidden factors that give a city its queer cred.” These new factors have changed the outcomes and preconceived ideas about what makes certain cities the most LGBT-friendly, shedding light on new and less discrete characteristics.

In its survey of different U.S. cities, The Advocate specifically noted and admired the District’s nightlife and gay-friendly neighborhoods. Places like Dupont and Logan Circle have garnered national attention for their tolerant attitudes, and they serve as examples of the acceptance and LBGT-friendly atmosphere in D.C. In addition, the District boasts a long LBGT-friendly history and currently has 17 elected gay officials.

With all of the current uproar and commotion surrounding gay marriage, D.C.’s new title as the gayest city in the U.S. demonstrates its importance during a time of changing American attitudes in the fight for equality. And – more importantly – it shows yet another reason why we’re proud to be Hoyas in the nation’s capital.