Friday Fixat10ns: Sing Along Songs

[8tracks width=”300″ height=”250″ playops=”” url=”https://8tracks.com/mixes/4112565″]

As my friends and I were reminiscing over our first year at Georgetown we realized some of our favorite weekend nights ended in song. We noticed that our favorite way to end a night of revelry was to circle around and belt out a series of songs that we all knew and loved: Sing Along Songs.

I’ve learned from country music that summer parties are all about gettin’ your boys together talkin’ about girls and trucks and maybe goin’ down to the river to take a little dip. These songs seem perfectly suited to singing together on summer nights. So grab a partner, throw your arm over her shoulder, sway a little, and get ready to sing like you never have before.

And no I won’t include “Don’t Stop Believing” or “Sweet Caroline” or “Last Danc because they remind me too much of bat mitzvahs rather than college parties and I just don’t want to go back to seventh grade.

Just a Friend – Biz Markie Every since I saw heard this song on an adorable Heineken commercial that discouraged sadness, inhibitions and drunk driving, I decided it was the perfect song to sing after toward the end of a  long night with friends

Call Me Maybe – Carly Rae Jepsen This song, as well as every P!nk song known to man, has been astoundingly overplayed on Long Island radio stations. I never got sick of it. You know all of the words, so sing them, even if they don’t make sense.

Too Little, Too Late – JoJo Everyone loves JoJo. So sassy.

Stacy’s Mom – Fountains of Wayne Sing Along songs are almost always throwbacks to a simpler time. Be an over-confident high schooler for a few minutes and if there is a girl named Stacy with you don’t miss the chance to annoy the hell out of her.

Ordinary Day – Vanessa Carlton Ordinary day was released when I was six years old. At six, I probably never expected to be singing this song twelve years later in a Village B apartment at Georgetown with a bunch of people from across the country, but I didn’t expect much at all at six years old. For some reason I still love this song and you should too.

Mean – Taylor Swift I was recently lambasted for not knowing every word to this song, so I promptly committed it to memory. This song is perfect to sing if someone was mean to you earlier or if you ran out of Cheez-Its and you’re not sure how to go on.

Royals – Lorde Don’t tell me you’re sick of this song — you’re not. Just give it a few seconds and you’ll be chanting “Cristal, Maybach, diamonds on your timepiece” with the rest of ’em.

Teenage Dirtbag – Wheatus You may not be a dirtbag. You may not even be a teenager anymore. But sometimes it just feels good to be a part of a group, especially a group that sticking it to the man.

22 – Taylor Swift Now that we all feel like rebels it’s time to take ourselves down a notch and rock out to some more T-Swift.

Shook Me All Night Long – AC/DC Okay so I don’t know the words to this song but I imagine it would be really cool if I did.

Wagon Wheel – Old Crow Medicine Show or Darius Rucker Both suffice. This is the quintessential college sing along song. In fact, if you haven’t sung Wagon Wheel like your life depended on it yet you’re probably not trying hard enough to have fun.

So get out there with your besties and show the world your singing skillage, it’ll be the most “college” thing you’ve done in a while.