It’s 3:30 Somewhere

330 ClubHere at Georgetown when the taste of Village A jungle juice and the always unsatisfying ranch to pizza ratio at Eat & Joy begins to take its toll, we looking to switch things up. Although instinctively shouting along to “Get Low” by the widely acclaimed duo of Lil Jon and the East Side Boyz can be an exhilarating experience, sometimes we’d like to hear something different than the typical soundtrack to our Friday night.

Stefon-Final
Georgetown’s hottest club is…

You may have heard about some stellar shows coming up at the 9:30 Club. It sounds fun to buy a ticket and go dance with your friends at an intimate venue with a live performer. But compared to the glamour and prestige of an often-overlooked club we have on this very campus, the 9:30 Club is second tier. I’m referring to the 3:30 Club, where the cover charge is a flash of your GoCard and the venue is as intimate as the distance your feet are from those of the boy in the cubicle next to you, who has opted to go barefoot. It’s free. It’s convenient. It’s open 24 hours. And you never know what you’re going to get.

tumblr_mjgwn2KOpw1qj28qwo3_250

Sure, artists at the 9:30 Club might be spontaneous, but here at the 3:30 Club there’s no setlist. It’s 3:30 pm and you’re on Lau 5 and the soundtrack today is a synthesis of a hacking cough, construction and anxious leg shaking. Or maybe there is the faint whisper of muffled tears. Regardless of what the club scene delivers on that day, there is always something organic about the way these noises come together. For those of you who are attracted to the 9:30 Club because it satisfies your desire to go somewhere chiller than Georgetown parties, under the radar and/or so “not mainstream,” what could be more avant-garde than going into the library at 3:30 pm to not do work? What’s more new wave than sitting back in the Pierce Reading Room solely to take in all the vibes?

I know you’re probably skeptical. You’re probably wondering what makes the 3:30 Club more of “the move” on a Friday afternoon than going to a bar on a Saturday night. Going to see your favorite performer in a small setting with a fun crowd and bumping music sounds great in theory, but the 3:30 Club is all about giving you an unpredictable show. It will keep you coming back, wondering if today you’ll get to witness another group project fight, or whether you’ll see the same shady man through the window of one of the fourth floor closets or maybe you’ll catch a glimpse of a mental breakdown at the printing station when the paper tray claims it’s empty though it’s actually full. And don’t get me started on what goes down in Gelardin. The clubbing game will never be the same.