Meet the Next Mayor of DC

meetthemayorYesterday Muriel Bowser was elected mayor of Washington, D.C., defeating independents David Catania (SFS ’90, LAW ’94) and Carol Schwartz. Let us introduce her to you.

Bowser is currently a D.C. Councilmember representing Ward 4.

councilShe grew up in D.C. and got her masters in public policy at American University.

womanofthepeople

Bowser won the Democratic primary over incumbent Vincent Gray in April of this year after announcing her candidacy in March 2013.

Washington D.C. city council member and Democratic mayoral candidate Bowser rallies supporters before voting in WashingtonIn 2011, she was arrested with other councilmembers and Mayor Vincent Gray while protesting after Congress agreed to impose controversial riders on D.C. spending. One stipulation was that D.C. could not spend its own money on abortions for low-income women. That’s pretty badass.

arrest

Muriel Bowser was endorsed for mayor by President Barack Obama as well as The Washington Post.

obamabowser

Bowser plans to close D.C. General Homeless shelter and improve upon the “rapid rehousing” strategy to deal with the increasing problem of homelessness in D.C. this winter.

debate_20140918_011

Bowser used the slogan #All8Wards to promote her plan of representing D.C. as one, unified city. That means you! And you! And you!

DC Mayor Primary

Bowser also likes to dance. This is very important to the 4E staff. We’re not about to deal with any “Footloose” nonsense.
Muriel Bowser

Congrats, Muriel Bowser! And Godspeed.

Check out thehoya.com for continued coverage of Bowser’s win.

Photos: static.squarespace.com, washingtoncitypaper.com, youtube.com, thegeorgetowndish.com, murielformayor.com, welovehiphopmusic.com, thegrio.com, images.politico.com

Info: Washington Post, The Hoya, In The Capital