Manly Monday: Sequels, Reboots and Manly Movie Madness

Popcorn-Slate1Before I get to actually writing my article today, I would like to apologize to all the dear readers/4E-enthusiasts (4Enthusiasts?) for the long absence of Manly Mondays this summer. I know that every Monday day you wake up, open your browser and pray that you will find a new post that will help you get through the drudge of Mondays.  Sadly, this summer I’ve dropped the ball. But have no fear—for at least this week, I’m here to entertain and to ease the Monday slog.

This summer has been all about sequels and “reboots” in Hollywood: a new Jurassic Park kicked the summer off with a bang, while the attempts at revitalizing the Terminator and Fantastic Four franchises failed miserably. Perhaps the most pleasant surprise is that Tom Cruise is currently sitting at the top of the box office yet again with another Mission: Impossible movie, and this time is getting pretty good critical reviews, too. The new M:I begins a run of sequels and reboots for a number of “manly” movies from the 80’s and 90’s that just refuse to die, and have this film enthusiast excited. We’ll take a look at three of the manliest movies on the horizon.

Point Break 

Forget The Matrix, this was the role that monotone action star Keanu Reaves was born to play. Reaves stars as Johnny Utah, a washed-up football star turned undercover FBI agent, who is investigating surfer/bank-robber/crime lord/zen master Bhode, played by Patrick Schwayze. Not impressed? Wait until you see Utah jump out of a plane without a parachute.

While I love the 1991 original, which also stars Gary Busey, I’m less than excited about the remake. The cast made the original film great, and based on the trailer, I think I’ll be waiting to see this one on Fuse in about 6 months.

Creed

He’s baaaaaaaack. American hero Sylvester Stallone returns to reprise his role of Rocky “The Italian Stallion” Balboa in this sequel/reboot of the decades-old Rocky franchise. Though Rocky V was an abomination, and Rocky Balboa wasn’t much better, the trailer and story for Creed seem to have promise.

Thankfully, a 100-year old Balboa finally steps out of the ring, and the movie centers around the son of Rocky’s long-time rival-turned-best friend Apollo Creed. Rocky trains Adonis Creed to live up to his family name, and the franchise comes full circle in what looks to be a fantastic film.

Top Gun 2

Words can’t describe my excitement for this sequel. I’ll admit, I’m terrified. There’s a really good chance that Top Gun 2 tramples everything that the original stood for. However, the 80’s classic remains one of my favorite films to this day, and I have high hopes for anyone that wants to make a sequel.

The 1986 blockbuster features arguably the greatest bromance of all-time (RIP Goose), the best game of shirtless-but-still-wearing-blue jeans game of beach volleyball ever and more Kenny Loggins than anyone could ever ask for.

Maybe Top Gun should be left alone in the 80’s, or maybe Tom Cruise can work his magic and a 60-year-old Maverick will fly high once again. Either way, I hope the rumors of a sequel are true, because I am ready to enter the Danger Zone one more time.

Photo: filmmakeriq.com