Friday Fixat10ns: Freshman Year Throwbacks

froshyer

Has it really been 3 years since we, the Class of 2016, were mere Freshies struggling to find our way through the ICC? Yes my friends it has been that long. While I am a firm advocate for not accepting our impending graduation, there is going to come a time when showing up to Brown House parties is no longer acceptable.

In honor of the start of Dis-O tonight with the Leo’s Keg Party, 4E is taking you back to a simpler time.

Let me set the scene: The year was 2012, fall to be exact. The place? Georgetown. Obama hadn’t been re-elected. Libya and Syria were all over the news. Gay marriage was not illegal nation-wide. Kim Kardashian and Kris were still technically married. And these songs were the hits of the time….

[8tracks width=”300″ height=”250″ playops=”” url=”https://8tracks.com/mixes/6970805″]

1. “Gangnam Style” – PSY. The song of our NSO, the one that sparked so many awkward dance parties. Man, the last time I Gangnam Style’d… we are not going to get into that. This basically is the song of our generation (Read: but actually not at all).
  2. “Starships” – Nicki Minaj. If you don’t know all the words to this song you are most likely higher than a m***** f***** (you know what I mean). This was the song we all sang along to at the random party when we didn’t know each other. Were we awkward? Yes. Did the upperclassmen laugh at us? Most likely.
  3. “I Knew You Were Trouble” – Taylor Swift. Who could forget when Tay’s newest album, Red, emerged on the scene. My friends and I listened to EVERY SINGLE SONG. I still think to this day that T-Swizzle played a crucial role in the creation of my friend group. Thanks for the memories and all the romantic angst, girl.
  4. “Thrift Shop” – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. I’m 97.6% positive this song sparked the hipster trend at Georgetown. Don’t quote me on that though. Whenever you heard those beginning notes you knew that it was on and that it was time to sing. Did anyone actually know all the words? Or any words other than “grandma’s clothes?”
  5. “Call Me Maybe” – Carly Rae Jepsen. I feel like there was a dance attached to this song. Was that just me? Nonetheless, it was the song of the fall. The amount of people I told to “omg call me maybe” is kinda sad. I should be disappointed with myself. Whatever, I’m still here so I guess I didn’t screw up too much!
  6. “Boyfriend” – Justin Bieber. Ugh, the good old days when Justin was still young and quasi-innocent? Swag, fondue and falsetto. Did ever freshman girl want to be his girlfriend? Because, personally, this song kinda creeped me out. Like, hey dude please leave me along didn’t you get the message I am not interested.
  7. “Too Close” – Alex Clare. This song reminds me of all those 1st week relationships that quickly died out. This song perfectly explains the  moment when you realize “oops, we just met and I don’t think I actually like you.” RIP to all the fallen possible lovers.
  8. “Titanium” – David Guetta (Feat. Sia). My fondest memory of this song is me and my friends drunkly singing it at the top of our lungs in front of Tuscany’s (again, RIP). Such empowerment, I don’t think I could have gotten through the emotions and struggles of freshman year without the lyrics of Sia.
  9. “We Found Love” – Rihanna (Feat. Calvin Harris). Freshman year was tough. Thank god we found love (AKA alcohol and friends) in this hopeless place. This is back when Rihanna was still very pop. Doesn’t this song just make you want to hug your friends and look back at all your #mems?
  10. “Good Feeling” – Flo Rida. UGH FLO RIDA FOR THE WIN. The ultimate pump up song. This song completed every party. Every time I hear it  a montage of freshman year house parties and all the stupid things I did pops into my head. TBT that time I showed up to Brown House when there was no party. Oops!

We are not gone yet, Class of 2016. Let’s go out with a bang. Happy Dis-O!

Photos/Gifs: https://snaap.indiana.edu/; photobucket.com