Studying for Midterms: Freshman Year vs. Senior Year

midterm

It is that time of year again, when Lau becomes our second home, Mai Thai delivery orders spike and classroom friendships emerge solely out of necessity.

7446165

That’s right, midterm season has hit the Hilltop. While all my midterms are not this week, this “time off” has given me some time to reflect on this horrible time of year. The way I approach midterms nowadays is extremely different than my approach when I was a freshman. Time to take a trip down memory lane…

1. Study Guides:

Freshman Year: You take the time to collaborate with a variety of people to create the most comprehensive study guide in the planet. Naturally, you add your own information to it and even include reading summaries.

tumblr_nr6cvknNbt1skw6fdo1_1280

Senior Year: Now midterms are a game of Google Docs, and how many smart people can you get to work with you and share their knowledge. There is no way your notes are indicative of what was taught, making finding that Google Doc key. If you think you need reading summaries, you are living in a delusional world. You have real life to worry about, HELLO.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-32125-1367586556-5

2. Study Groups

Freshman Year: Study groups are a jumping off point for friendships, buddies or whatever may have emerged. You struggle together and all pull your weight. Oh, those good times on Lau 2. Best Friends Forever.

11c0c740-dd3d-46b2-970f-f6e62e477d2b

Senior Year: Take a look around your classroom and there is a good chance you don’t know the majority of people in your class. Ugh, don’t you hate being old? Midterms have become a game of “Who do you know?” and the more people you know, the better off you will be. There is much less of a chance of long term friendships in this case, these people will be here after you are gone. Now, that is just sad.

giphy-2

3. Office Hours

Freshman Year: If you didn’t show up to your professor’s office hours at least once during midterms, you are doing something wrong. Naturally, you have to show up with a list of questions and be extremely prepared.

tumblr_lt1bcmgbiP1qht847

Senior Year: Office hours is now about how much information can you get your teacher to tell you. There is no chance you know enough to ask a question. Time to learn by osmosis.

rs_500x209-140606093912-tumblr_n4aelvB9Pb1rizu9io3_500

4. Study Style

Freshman Year: You actually spend time looking good because you are going to Lau and are going to be around people potential love interests. You never know, what if you met the love of your life there? You heard that is a thing, right?

635703737258549268-905441764_thats-so-raven-catholic-school-uniform-gif

Senior Year: If you make it to Lau, it is an accomplishment. If you look presentable, you get an award. You would only be caught looking better than SWUG-ish if you had an internship or an interview. Other reasons are not acceptable.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-5710-1378845858-14

5. Coping Methods

Freshman Year: The pain is over, thank god! Time to relax in your New South common room, try to find a good party and catch up with your friends. Not for too long though, those five classes will keep you significantly busy and you don’t want to fall behind!

Quinn_&_Mercedes_-_Friendship

Senior Year: If you don’t have a drink in your hand at least an hour after your midterm, I will question your life choices. Is it a Monday? Who really cares? Do you? Are you sure you are a senior?

200_s-1

Godspeed friends. Hope your internships, job searches, part time jobs and activities don’t get in your way of passing those midterms. We are rooting for you.

Photos/Gifs: hercampus.com; buzzfeed.com; tumblr.com; playbuzz.com; giphy.com; dailybruin.com; eonline.com; theodysseyonline.com; glee.wikia.com