Study Abroad Alternatives Spring 2021

If you applied to study abroad this year, the cancellation news a few weeks ago may have come as a disappointment to you. But fear not! Here is a compilation of alternative destinations where you can fulfill your wanderlust this upcoming spring.

Madrid, Iowa

FACEBOOK
FACEBOOK

Forget the churros this semester and replace Madrid, Spain, with Madrid, Iowa! This agricultural town has loads of natural and historical sites – from the Iowa Arboretum to the Madrid History & Clay Castle – and not to mention this nifty-looking bridge pictured above – you will never run out of spots to check out. Life in this rural land might look a little different from the abroad experience in Spain you might have imagined, but Madrid supposedly has great high school sports teams. So, why not relive your glory days by going out to check out a football game?

Rome, Maine

Maine: An Encyclopedia

Ahhh, yes. The glorious capital of Italy — alas, this year, one can only dream. A semester in Rome, Maine, however, might not be all that bad of an alternative! Switch out the classic Italian caffè e cornetto for clam chowder and replace spaghetti with lobster, and there you have it. Who needs Rome’s Colosseum when you have nature parks and lakes at your fingertips in Rome, Maine!

Berlin, Connecticut

MJ Agostini Real Estate

Although you may have to say goodbye to schnitzel and German lagers this year, consider an alternative trip to Berlin in our very own United States. Don’t let Connecticut’s reputation as a commuter state scare you away — the Nutmeg State has much to offer. The shrimp and clam pie, the various nature centers and a prestigious university in New Haven *cough cough* are all within arm’s reach. Although you might have to replace Germany’s cobblestone streets with the interstate highway, look on the bright side — all of Berlin, Connecticut’s attractions are just a quick drive away!

Paris, Kentucky

Paris.ky.gov

You can’t drop your croissant if you don’t have one to begin with! The City of Light may have had to shut its borders to you this year, but our very own Paris, Kentucky, is quite the fine alternative. Don’t be afraid to leave behind the baguettes and wine and grab yourself an Arnold Palmer and some wings instead. Switch things up and visit Paris to learn a thing or two about horses, history and hospitality.

And there you have it, folks. Your favorite European destinations, minus the fancy food and high price tag!