Freshman Hall Forms Lasting Bonds

ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA
ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA

I lived in the purple cluster on the eighth floor of Harbin Hall my freshman year. For those who are unfamiliar withHarbin’s layout, each floor is made up of three clusters of eight rooms surrounding a communal bathroom. My friends have always been quick to point out that I technically lived in a room just outside the cluster, which we affectionately referred to as the cluster’s Puerto Rico.Harbin was intentionally designed to create a sense of community among the individuals living in a cluster, an intention that was highly successful in what is now my group of friends.

On our first night in the cluster, we all met in the common room for an impromptu game of poker. It was one of those awkward freshman gatherings going on across campus. We knew little about each other, but we were forced to socialize purely because the housing office had randomly assigned us as neighbors. We went around and did the usual Georgetown introductions of name, school and hometown, and it soon became apparent that we came from a diverse set of backgrounds and had many different interests. On paper, it didn’t make much sense for us to become close friends, but somehow, most of us have stuck together.

Over the course of freshman year, our cluster shared experiences that have become some of my fondest memories. We coordinated trips to Leo’s, explored various extracurricular activities and moved like a mob around the neighborhood, searching for upperclassmen willing to let 10 guys into their parties. We even managed to survive being locked in our dorm with each other for a whole week during Snowpocalypse. And when cabin fever became too much to handle, we walked all the way to Verizon Center in the storm to watch Georgetown beat Villanova.

As our first year came to an end, we were shuffled around campus into various dorms. Although we couldn’t see each other as often as before, everyone stayed in contact and continued to meet up regularly. While most of us began finding corners of campus where we wanted to focus our time, it was still nice to have a network of friends from outside classes and organizations.

Skipping forward to senior year, most of us still live together in a number of different houses. Although we rarely all get together at the same time anymore, our social circles frequently collide. The time that we spent together transitioning into college will always be an important chapter in our lives. We provided support during each others’ failures and celebrated each other’s victories. From dealing with family issues to managing the rigor of college-level academics, we helped one another make Georgetown feel like home. My clustermates inspired me to take chances, try new things and discover who I want to be in this world. They are the reason I joined the crew team, got involved in Protestant ministry, became a tour guide, passed accounting, quit the crew team and became a Carroll Fellow. Without them, I would have had a far less meaningful Georgetown experience.

I have learned a considerable amount through coursework and extracurriculars over the past four years, but I have grown the most through my relationships with friends. My brothers in the purple cluster have challenged my beliefs and helped me to better understand the value of my time on the Hilltop. I feel incredibly privileged to have known each and every one of them. Looking back at that awkward first night in the common room, I never would have expected that Greyson, Stelios, Alex, Kieran, Matty P., Mike D., Craig, Dan, James, Boston Mike, Colin, Nate and Schroth would become some of my best friends.

Michael Crouch is a senior in the McDonough School of Business and former program manager of h.innovation.