Over the Top

The stunt pulled by Plan A: Hoyas for Reproductive Justice this past weekend was both disrespectful and immature. The coalition overstepped its bounds by disregarding the university Speech and Expression Policy at a time when the university had opened itself up to several hundred visitors.

Plan A’s demonstration ambushed unsuspecting prospective students, who were on campus for the Georgetown Admissions Ambassador Program Open House. The demonstration would not have been as offensive if the issue of the protest warranted such an excessive display. Plan A’s demands, however, are unrealistic and misguided. The university should not be expected to stray from Catholic doctrine to accommodate demands for the availability of on-campus contraceptives. Moreover, the fact that the university allowed the protest to proceed – and even acknowledged it with a response – is evidence that the voice of Plan A is not being silenced, as the protesters’ duct-taped mouths were ostensibly meant to symbolize.

Of course, students should certainly be able to protest during an open house. Indeed, some prospective students were pleased to see that the student body is active, and that the university allows for student dissent.

There are, however, both right and wrong ways to protest. Even if their message is off-base, abiding by the speech policy and containing their action to Red Square would have garnered Plan A more credibility among observers. Furthermore, the Plan A protesters – whatever their disagreements with the university – are still members of the Georgetown community. They ought to maintain a respect for the university and its efforts to recruit new students. Failing to do so only hurts their image in the eyes of students who wish to maintain a united front in support of Georgetown during open house weekends.