$900 In Valuables Stolen In Townhouse Burglary

Approximately $900 worth of items were stolen from the townhouse of two Georgetown students living on the 1400 block of 36th Street early Friday morning, according to a D.C. Metropolitan Police Department incident report.

“We went to bed around 3 [a.m.], woke up the next morning around 10 [a.m.],” Matt Breen (MSB ’10), a resident of the townhouse, said.

“When we woke up, we saw that the back door was half open, and a number of things [had been stolen].” He then found a laptop computer, iPod, leather jacket, duffel bag and Barack Obama Halloween mask were missing from his home, stated the MPD report.

“From what we can tell, it’s because the back door doesn’t have a bolt lock. … It’s just an old lock that sticks,” Breen said. “You have to really make sure the door’s locked.”

Breen said the items stolen all belonged to him and his housemate, Engin Nural (COL ’10). MPD estimated the value of the stolen property, which did not include the mask, at $880.

Breen and Nural said their back door was probably left unlocked overnight. The report said there was no evidence of forced entry.

“We’ve spoken to our RA, who’s talked to the hall director. … They’re working to get these bolt locks installed in all university townhouses,” Breen said. “I think that’s incredibly reasonable. … It probably should have happened a long time ago.”

PD was unavailable for comment.

On the go? Stay up-to-date on all the top stories with TheHoya.com’s podcast, Hoya on the Go.