ACC, Big Ten and Big 12 Loaded With Title Contenders

Welcome to the first-installment of Three-Point Play, a new column that aims to satisfy your craving for college hoops analysis. This is the first installment of a four-part preview of the 2009-2010 men’s basketball season, featuring thoughts on the ACC, Big Ten and Big 12. Without further ado, let’s get started!

1. ACC

With the graduation of Tyler Hansbrough, the ACC has lost its all-time leading scorer, but the Tar Heels won’t miss him nearly as much as most people think. Ed Davis, who backed up Hansbrough last year, may not have Psycho T’s experience and craftiness, but he is a far more physically gifted basketball player and could be in the hunt for All-American honors at year’s end. Davis gave the nation a taste of his potential in last year’s title game, when he dominated Michigan State’s frontcourt for 11 points and eight rebounds in a measly 14 minutes. Despite the loss of the Tar Heels’ top four scorers, the return of Davis and Deon Thompson and the arrival of highly touted freshman John Henson make UNC the favorite in the conference.

Rival Duke still lacks a true low-post presence and must replace two starting guards with Gerald Henderson in the pros and Elliot Williams transferring to Memphis, which means the Blue Devils probably won’t make it out of the Sweet Sixteen for the sixth consecutive year.

The sleeper in the conference is last season’s cellar dweller, Georgia Tech, which went 2-14 in the ACC in 2009. That sounds awful, but it should be pointed out that they beat NCAA tourney teams Wake Forest and Clemson and lost six games by a combined 19 points to Florida State, Boston College, and Maryland (all NCAA tourney teams as well). Sophomore guard Iman Shumpert will only improve, and future NBA first-round pick Gani Lawal will team with uber-recruit Derrick Favors to form one of the best low-post duos in the entire nation. A worst-to-first turnaround is unlikely, but not totally out of the realm of possibility.

2. Big Ten

The Big Ten has plenty of depth, as evidenced by last year’s seven NCAA tournament teams, but the chase for this year’s conference title will be a two-team race. Michigan State returns five of its top six scorers from last year’s national runner-up team, including guard Kalin Lucas and forward Raymar Morgan. Not to be outdone, Purdue features a talented trio of juniors in Robbie Hummel, JaJuan Johnson and E’Twaun Moore who play with terrific chemistry. Both teams are eyeing a trip to the Final Four, and anything less would be disappointing for either program.

While the rest of the Big Ten may not be on the level of the Spartans and Boilermakers, there are some tremendous players throughout the conference. Ohio State’s Evan Turner was the only player in a major conference last year to average at least 17 points, seven rebounds and four assists per game. He was nearly joined by Michigan guard Manny Harris, who put up 16.9 points, 6.8 rebounds and 4.4 assists per contest. This conference was much criticized last year for its lack of offense (in one game, Penn State defeated Illinois 38-33), but look for the Big Ten to compete with the Big 12 for the title of best conference in the nation.

3. Big 12

The Big Ten’s dynamic duo of Michigan State and Purdue is tough to beat, but the Big 12 manages to edge it out with two true national title contenders in Kansas and Texas. Kansas has two of the best players in the country in Sherron Collins, a third team All-American point guard, and Cole Aldrich, who showed his potential with an astounding 13 points, 20 rebounds and 10 blocks against Dayton in last year’s NCAA tourney. The Jayhawks don’t lack depth either, with talented sophomore guard Tyshawn Taylor and three incoming recruits ranked in Rivals’ national top-30, including the much-hyped guard Xavier Henry. Consider Kansas the favorite to win the national title.

But Texas isn’t far behind, as stud forward Damion James passed up the pros to return to Austin for his senior season. James will be joined by two super freshmen, Avery Bradley and Jordan Hamilton. After John Wall, Bradley may be the best freshman in the country, and don’t be surprised if he’s in the mix for All-America honors at the end of the season.

Beyond Kansas and Texas, there is a big drop-off in talent, but Oklahoma should still turn in a strong season even without last year’s consensus National Player of the Year and No. 1 NBA Draft pick Blake Griffin. Sophomore Willie Warren has All-American potential, and freshman Keith “Tiny” Gallon (the nickname is misleading – he’s 6-foot-8 and 290 pounds) will help replace the void of points and rebounds left by Griffin.

The Big 12 is the only conference with at least two consensus All-Americans in each of the last three years, and with players like Collins, Aldrich, James, Bradley and Warren, expect that streak to continue this year.

Thanks for reading the opening edition of Three-Point Play. Two weeks from now, we’ll look at the Pac-10, SEC and the nation’s top mid-majors.

Parimal Garg is a senior in the College. Three-Point Play appears every other Friday in Hoya Sports.”