American Cafe Balances Savory and Chic

The neon red sign mounted outside Cafe Deluxe gives off the air of simultaneous spunk and style that can draw one in from any direction. A perfect combination of simple American food and the feeling of a European bistro, the restaurant has a unique sense of classy comfort. The paper-topped tables and leather booths give off a very friendly, low-key ambiance, while dimmed lights, checkered floors, oversized mirrors, slowly turning fans and vintage European posters transform a casual meal into an occasion.  

Not only is the atmosphere a perfect amalgamation of different styles, but the menu also offers an eclectic cuisine. While traditional staples such as chicken and roasted pepper quesadilla and steak frites anchor the menu, more complex and interesting dishes such as tuna mignon and the goat cheese and asparagus dinner omelet provide a bit of elegance.  

I thoroughly enjoyed the tuna and omelet. Perfectly cooked and decently portioned with greatly complementing ingredients, the entree had the right balance of simplicity and sophistication. The only disappointing element was the side salad that accompanied my meal. With little flavor added only by a balsamic vinegar dressing, the theme of simplicity may have taken away from its potential.

Yet, simple, delicious food is the name of the game at Cafe Deluxe. Not only will you enjoy your own food, but you will also ogle all of the appetizing meals that pass by your table.

The extremely accommodating waitstaff was also a nice surprise with quick service and warm attitudes. Dressed in long white aprons and white button-downs with ties, their tasteful attire reflected the crisp ambiance. But it wasn’t stuffy. From families with small children to young couples to an elderly group to college students like my friends and me, the establishment exuded an inclusive, jovial feel. One might think that with all of these people, conversation might get drowned out, but fortunately the experience was still intimate.

The only other drawback was the slightly steep expense, making Cafe Deluxe appropriate for a first date, birthday dinner or celebratory brunch. With a no reservation policy, strategically planning a visit is wise.

Though a little farther away than the restaurants on M Street, an evening at Cafe Deluxe, located up Wisconsin Avenue near the National Cathedral in Cleveland Park, is worth the bus trip. I would, however, recommend waiting until the weather warms to snag a seat on the outdoor patio — you could even enjoy the walk there to work up your appetite for what waits ahead.