ANC Addresses Local Issues In Georgetown

Members of [the local Advisory Neighborhood Commission](https://www.anc2e.com/) met Monday to discuss trash removal services for off-campus students, a sewer project on Q Street and the liquor license recently awarded to the Johnny Rockets restaurant on M Street.

The public meeting was led by the six area commissioners and attended by approximately 40 residents.

Associate Vice President for Student Affairs Jeanne Lord represented the university at the meeting. She discussed the changes to the Georgetown move-in bulk trash collection system. For the first time this year, trucks will be covering an area of several blocks six days per week through September 12. Students have only to wait for the trucks to make loops around the neighborhood rather than make specific calls for trash removal.

“I think it looked remarkably better than it had this morning,” Lord said to summarize her assessment of the trash situation thus far.

She added that neighbors are welcome to contact the Off Campus Student Life office with complaints about trash and that students would face serious fines for trash violations. Off Campus Student Life will also be doing weekly trash patrols to ensure that Georgetown students are following the policies.

The Rock Creek Sewer Separation Project was also a topic of discussion at the meeting. As one of the first projects included in the D.C. Water and Sewer Authority’s Long Term Control Plan, the project aims to reduce the sewage overflow on the 2700 block of Q Street during inclement weather.

The project is scheduled to start in about two weeks and will take approximately 11 months to complete. Two-way traffic and nighttime parking will be maintained throughout nearly the entire installation of about 900 feet of new sanitary sewers and 1,100 feet of water mains.

The commission also passed a resolution to protest the class-C liquor license recently purchased by Johnny Rockets on M Street with the intent to approve it at their next meeting in late September when more information will be available. Several other Johnny Rockets restaurants nationwide have acquired liquor licenses, although at these establishments sale of alcohol accounts for only six-tenths of 1 percent of sales. The company, according to its lawyer, seeks primarily to attract parents who wish to purchase beer or wine with dinner.

The Georgetown Johnny Rockets is currently the franchise’s second most lucrative corporate store, after its restaurant in Reno, Nev.

The commission also approved several other resolutions: to waive traffic count rules for Georgetown Visitation School, to install a new four-way stop sign at the intersection of 32nd Street and Scott Place, to support the 16th annual Taste of Georgetown event on Wisconsin Avenue, to endorse the BikeDC event scheduled for Oct. 17, to support new construction plans for the Washington International School on 36th Street and to grant a special exception to parking rules for the Center for Digital Imaging Arts at Boston University on Thomas Jefferson Street. They also reviewed 16 proposals for residential and commercial construction projects in Old Georgetown.”