Assembly Aims for GERMS Credit

GUSA Assembly representatives have been working on resolutions to help secure class credit for students working for GERMS. The resolution follows a stalled effort from last semester to gain credit for ROTC cadets.

Representatives Nick Lizop (COL ’05) and Octavio Gonzales (COL ’06) will present a resolution soon calling for academic credit to be awarded to GERMS.

The student assembly cannot award academic credit for courses but if passed, the resolution would call for the lobbying of curricular deans to approve such a move. Although Lizop initiated the process in December, representatives still have to complete discussions, which may take more time.

“Once the resolution is passed, which I expect to happen in late April, the president of GUSA and I will make sure that it is properly presented to the administration, and if possible, enforced,” Lizop said.

Even if he is not able to obtain academic credit for GERMS, Lizop indicated he would continue to press the university to recognize GERMS’ activities. “[GERMS] is one of the most valuable community services around this campus, and it should not go unnoticed.”

Under the current system, GERMS undergo extensive training, including the acquisition of Emergency Medical Technician certification, which requires 140 hours of class instruction as well as 20 hours of emergency room observation. “Since I had been given a chance to see all the good that these people do and the way they selflessly contribute to make Georgetown a safer community, I found it truly revolting that they would not get any kind of written recognition,” Lizop said.

Lizop emphasized that the project is still in its infancy and requires the approval of many higher authorities before it will be realized.