Attentive Students Aid Burglar’s Apprehension

The vigilance of two Georgetown students helped the Department of Public Safety capture a burglar on May 11.

Christina Bennett (COL ’04) observed a suspicious stranger seeking to gain access to unlocked rooms in Kober at approximately 2:30 p.m., according to a broadcast e-mail sent two days after the incident. Bennett quickly called DPS and gave a description of the person to a DPS officer.

Alex Andrus (COL ’07) was packing books in his room on the fifth floor of Darnall at around the same time when he heard someone attempt to open the door to his room.

After walking into the hallway, Andrus confronted a six foot tall black male wearing a black T-shirt and jeans to ask if he needed help with something. Andrus said the man responded, “No, I was just looking for the cleaners,” and quickly headed to the stairwell that led out of Darnall.

Andrus consulted a friend and alerted DPS about the intruder. DPS soon cordoned off the area, according to the broadcast e-mail.

The suspect was then seen exiting a Henle Village apartment and was apprehended by Officers Gary Gordon, Darren Martin, Stephanie Coachman and Sherrie Green.

The man was found to be in possession of money recently stolen from a student’s room in Henle.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office has told DPS that they will prosecute the individual arrested, who is being held without bond.