BC Student Falls From Village A

A Boston College student is in fair condition at Georgetown University Hospital after sustaining head, leg and ankle injuries in a fall from a Village A staircase early Saturday morning.

According to university officials, the student, Gregory Dirobbio, fell approximately 35 feet to the concrete while attempting to slide down the banister on the set of steps closest to Lauinger Library.

The Metropolitan Police Department has ruled the incident an accident according to MPD Second District Detective Thomas Rosenbort.

Director of Residence Life Bethany Marlowe said that she did not know if Dirobbio had been drinking, but added that she didn’t “think that was the issue.” After the fall, which occurred around 1:30 a.m., Dirobbio was taken to the hospital by the D.C. Fire and Ambulance where he was treated for injuries to his head, leg and ankle.

“We were really worried for a while,” said Marlowe, who added that the university and the Dirobbio family are now “cautiously optimistic.”

Initially, Dirobbio was in critical condition before being upgraded to serious and then fair condition. Yesterday, he had surgery on his ankle to repair damage sustained during the fall.

Over the weekend, University President Leo J. O’Donovan, S.J., visited with Dirobbio and his family. On Sunday, the university issued a statement saying, “the Georgetown University community has the student, his family and friends in its thoughts and prayers.” It also said that the university believes the fall was an accident.

Dirobbio, 20, is a junior at Boston College majoring in Finance. He is originally from Scottsdale, Ariz. According to John B. Dunn, Boston College’s director of the Office of Public Affairs, Boston College is “grateful for the outpouring of support and sympathy” from Georgetown, particularly O’Donovan’s visit.

Marlowe said that Dirobbio is in considerable pain but showing signs of improvement, including a return of his appetite.