Big East’s Best Beats Georgetown

Freshman midfielder Mark Zeman has started 11 times this year, second most among freshman.

Saturday’s game between Georgetown and No. 6 West Virginia featured a record-breaking performance, but not by the Hoyas.

Mountaineer senior forward Jarrod Smith scored two goals in the second half to break the Big East record for goals in a season – now 12 – and lead West Virginia to a 2-0 victory at North Kehoe Field.

“[Smith] is a goal scorer, and goal scorers find a way in big games to score goals,” West Virginia Head Coach Marlon LeBlanc said.

The Hoyas now find themselves on the verge of failing to qualify for the Big East tournament. Georgetown (5-10-0, 2-7-0) trails Pittsburgh by four points in the Big East Blue Division for the sixth and final playoff spot.

The Hoyas have two games remaining in their regular season, while the Panthers have three more matches. On Wednesday, Georgetown will play at Pittsburgh (4-9-2, 3-4-1) in a game that the Hoyas must win in order to have a chance to qualify for postseason play.

Against West Virginia (12-1-2, 7-0-1), Georgetown had an opportunity to take the lead in the 35th minute. Junior forward ike Glaccum dribbled the ball down the left side of the field alongside a Mountaineer defender. Instead of forcing a difficult shot, Glaccum stopped six yards in front of the left post and sent the ball to sophomore forward Richard Frank, who was open in the middle the box. Frank fired a low, hard shot to the goal’s right corner, but West Virginia senior goalkeeper Nick Noble made a spectacular diving save. Neither team scored by halftime.

“We were unlucky not to be winning at the half,” Head Coach Brian Wiese said.

According to LeBlanc, the Mountaineers made an adjustment at halftime that allowed them to be more successful in the second half.

“We talked a little bit about our width play, and us not utilizing it,” he said. “Georgetown kept four guys back all of the time, and our wide guys weren’t working hard enough to find the ball in terms of getting forward.”

Smith scored his 11th goal of the season in the 48th minute to put West Virginia on the scoreboard. Junior midfielder Mike Anoia sent a cross from 20 yards out on the right side of the field to Smith, who headed it just inside the left post from eight yards out.

“It was a great header,” Georgetown senior goalkeeper Andrew Keszler said. “It was well placed. [Smith] did a phenomenal job in finishing.”

“I thought we actually did a good job on [Smith], and that’s why the goal was so frustrating,” Wiese said. “He was the only one in the box, the only one our back four had to deal with, and we let him get a free header.”

The Mountaineers struck again in the 64th minute on a cross from the left side of the box by freshman forward Tony Lindroos. Keszler dove but was unable to intercept the ball, and Smith knocked it into the open goal for his 12th goal in Big East play, breaking the previous record of 11 conference goals set by Seton Hall’s ichael Magarinos in 1995. Smith also broke the single-season points record of 27, previously held by Hoya Eric Kvello (GSB ’99).

“I was going to be there, but one of our defenders slid in at the last second and knocked it over me,” Keszler said. “It was frustrating. In the end, I wish the defender would have let me get it, but it happens in soccer.”

“You have to credit West Virginia, because they found a way to get two goals,” Wiese said. “That’s how their season’s going – they find ways to score.”

Although the Hoyas suffered their sixth-consecutive defeat in Big East play, Wiese said that he is pleased with the effort the team has showed in recent games.

“I think we’ve been playing well the last couple of weeks,” Wiese said. “I think we’ve been playing with a lot more fight. To be honest, if we had started the season with that kind of effort from the group, we wouldn’t be in the situation that we are in now.”

If Georgetown loses another game, or if Pittsburgh wins a game, the Hoyas will not qualify for the Big East tournament. Georgetown can secure the final berth for the tournament with a win at Pittsburgh on Wednesday and a tie at home against Marquette on Saturday if Pittsburgh falls to both Seton Hall and West Virginia. If Pittsburgh ties either Seton Hall or West Virginia, Georgetown must defeat Marquette in order to advance to the postseason.

“Our Big East playoff starts right now,” Wiese said.

Wednesday’s faceoff with the Panthers is set for 7 p.m. at Pittsburgh’s Founders Field.