Bomb Threats on D.C. Schools Ring False Alarm

An unspecified bomb threat received by the Metropolitan Police Department against “schools in the District” prompted a massive search of all 268 Washington, D.C., public and private schools Friday, including Georgetown. The threats did not materialize against any school.

A telephone operator received an anonymous text message at 5:45 a.m., on Friday morning, specifying that there were “five bombs placed in five schools in the District,” according to PD authorities. The message further said that authorities had until noon to find the five bombs, but did not specify which schools had bombs.

District commanders were then directed to dispatch officers to schools in their districts to conduct searches, in conjunction with school security and maintenance personnel. Before noon, MPD completed searches of 268 schools and universities in the District of Columbia, with negative results. No devices were located at any school, according to MPD authorities.

Officials said that the extensive search operation was unlike any in recent memory. Eighteen officers were asked to check 50 schools in the Second District, which stretches from Georgetown north to Friendship Heights.

David Morrell, vice president for university safety, sent out a campus-wide e-mail to all members of the Georgetown community at 11:30 a.m., notifying everyone of the possibility of a threat against unspecified schools in Washington, D.C.

In his message, Morrell indicated that DPS had been put on alert to be “extra vigilant, increasing its patrols of campus and vehicles entering and near the campus perimeter, looking for anything that might appear suspicious.” The university’s Emergency Response Team was also on call to assist in any activities.

“Building and floor marshals were contacted via separate e-mail and asked to check their respective areas for anything suspicious,” Morrell said, taking appropriate measures and precautions given the situation at the time.

Morrell also stated that DPS officials remained in contact with local authorities to include the MPD and the D.C. Emergency anagement Agency.

“Threats such as this are taken very seriously by university officials and appropriate steps are taken to ensure that students, faculty and staff can work in a safe and secure environment,” Morrell said.

Other organizations involved in the city-wide search included the MPD’s Explosive Ordinance Unit, K-9 Units of the U.S. Park Police, U.S. Capitol Police and Metro Transit Police. The FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force and the U.S. Secret Service were called in to assist with the investigation in determining the source of the threat.

MPD is conducting an ongoing investigation into the source, seeking the public’s assistance in identifying and locating the responsible suspects. There is currently a reward of $1,000 for those who have information that may lead to the arrest and indictment, according to the department.