Bulldog Statue Selected as Gift

The Senior Class Gift committee kicked off their campaign last night at Lulu’s following a class-wide vote Monday where nearly 500 seniors voted to choose a “Jack the Bulldog Clock” as their gift to the university.

Other choices for the gift included a beautification project consisting of benches throughout campus and a room in the New South student center, but a statue and clock with Jack the Bulldog won with 46.3 percent of the vote in Monday’s vote on the Saxa Server.

“We’re hoping to beat last year’s record of 72 percent participation,” Class Gift Co-Chair James Shea (COL ’04) said. “If we achieve a 73 percent participation rate, we have secured an anonymous donor who will give an additional $10,000 to our selected class gift, the Jack the Bulldog Clock.”

Shea said that any donation to the fund counts toward class participation and not all seniors who donate have to give to the selected gift.

“They can give to need based financial aid, any Hoyas athletic team, or any club, organization or academic department on campus,” he said.

To date, the committee has collected $7,000 from nearly 200 donors.

A free one-year membership in the Presidential Counselor Associates will be given to anyone who donates $100 to the gift fund. The PCA, a society for young alumni, had 50 seniors join last year and Shea said he hopes to add to the 40 seniors who have already given at least $100 this year.

The class of 2003 set the record for highest class participation at 72.5 percent, raising nearly $30,000 for a “Welcome to Georgetown” sign to be installed at the Canal Road entrance.

The class of 2002 used its class gift funds to convert a small vacant property on the 3600 Block of N Street into a Sept. 11, 2001, memorial.