Bush Attends Georgetown Event Honoring Powells

President George W. Bush joined University President John J. DeGioia at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts onday to award the John Thompson Legacy of a Dream Award to former U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell and his wife Alma Johnson Powell.

The presentation on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day was one part of Georgetown’s “Let Freedom Ring” week commemorating King’s life and legacy.

The president, accompanied by First Lady Laura Bush, praised the Powells’ service as America’s representatives to the world.

“They are honorable people who bring honor to this nation, and America is grateful for their example of service,” Bush said.

He also said that, when choosing Powell as his secretary of state, he “wanted someone who believed deeply in the values of our country, and would share them with the world.”

Bush also described Powell’s service as a lieutenant who went onto a distinguished military career after extensive duty in the army, earning two Purple Hearts, the Congressional Gold Medal and two Presidential Medals of Freedom, among other honors. Powell has also served in the administrations of six presidents.

In honoring Alma Powell, Bush complimented her as a good-hearted mother and grandmother who shares her love with others.

“She’s a noted author of several children’s books, and a volunteer who gives her time to help young people make good choices in life,” Bush said.

DeGioia also shared the stage with former Georgetown men’s basketball coach John Thompson, Jr., for whom the award was named.

“Today we present this award in honor of our legendary basketball coach and educator, an individual whose contributions recognize the values of Dr. King,” DeGioia said. “[Thompson’s] contributions were an inspiration to us all.”

DeGioia spoke of Powell’s extensive community service activities, emphasizing his important function as a role model to soldiers and children across the country.

Powell founded and actively led America’s Promise, a national nonprofit organization dedicated to mobilizing people from every sector of American life to build character and competence among young people.

“With the goal of securing the nation’s will, he focused the alliance on the underprivileged children of America,” DeGioia said.

He also said that Powell was essential in conducting two major themes of U.S. foreign policy: “ridding the world of terrorism and building constructive relations with nations around the world.”

Powell, who said he was honored to receive Georgetown’s award, discussed the importance of King’s legacy in America.

“Dr. King fought war not with weapons but with truth,” he said. “We must remember what he did not just for black Americans, but rather for all of America.”

Powell also offered advice for young Americans about keeping King’s dream and inspiration in their minds in order to secure the successful future of a strong America.

“Dr. King’s dream is not entirely fulfilled,” Powell said. “It must not be a legend, it must be a reality. I would say that his work is not done until Americans achieve every desire in life.”

In his address, President Bush noted the importance of King’s influence on individuals such as the Powells.

“Dr. King loved America enough to confront its injustices, not compromising the truth and not fearing any man – and America loves him in return,” he said. “The influence of one good life is also the message of the Legacy of a Dream Award – in this case the influence of two good lives.”

Bush closed by thanking all attendees for the pleasure of being able to honor the Powells.

“In their love of country, and their heart of service, they show the same character found in the life of Dr. Martin Luther King,” he said.

After a large donation from Target, this year’s ceremony also marked the creation of an annual $25,000 Legacy of a Dream Scholarship that will be awarded to a Georgetown student with financial need and whose experience in diversity, leadership and community reflects the work of King.

At the conclusion of the award ceremony, renowned blues performer Aaron Neville and the Georgetown University Concert and Gospel Choirs performed for the audience in the company of the Bush and Powell families.

Each year during the King celebration week, the university presents the Legacy of a Dream Award to an individual or organization whose contributions to community service or social justice reflect the values and ideals of Dr. King. Past recipients of the award include President and CEO of the College Fund William H. Gray III in 2004, and Thompson in 2003.

The event marked the first time that Bush has spoken to Georgetown students. Laura Bush has spoken on campus on two previous occasions.