Bush Picks Alum For Counsel Job

President George W. Bush announced last Tuesday his intention to nominate Brian Jones (CAS ’90) to be general counsel at the Department of Education.

If confirmed by the Senate, Jones will serve as the chief legal counsel to Education Secretary Rod Paige. As general counsel he will oversee the legal staff in Paige’s office.

Upon graduating from Georgetown, he attended the University of California at Los Angeles School of Law, where he received his law Juris degree. Jones is an attorney with the law firm of Curiale, Dellaverson, Hirschfeld, Kelly and Kramer in San Francisco, Calif. and is a resident of Oakland.

Paige commended the appointment and said he looks forward to “welcoming him to the department and working with him as our chief legal counsel.”

“Brian brings to the department experience with a wide range of legal issues related to elementary and secondary education as well as higher education,” Paige said in a press release.

At Georgetown, Jones was president of the College Democrats. Jones served under California Governor Pete Wilson as Deputy Legal Affairs Secretary and was Counsel to the Senate Committee on the Judiciary from 1997 to 1998.

Jones served the president of the Center for New Black Leadership, a Washington, D.C. based public policy organization, from 1995 to 1997. He has also written for National Minority Politics, the Washington Times, National Review and been an on-air contributor for MSNBC.

Jones was unavailable for comment and Lindsey Kozberg, spokesperson for the Board of Education, did not return phone calls placed yesterday.