Busing Home for the Holidays Gets Easier

Megabus, one of the many low-fare bus services operating along the East Coast, is expanding its service to and from Washington, D.C., to cities such as Boston, Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Raleigh just in time for trips home from Georgetown for the holidays.

With daily operations in a total of nearly 50 cities in North America, the company will expand daily service from the nation’s capital. While Megabus previously only provided round-trips to New York from the District, it will expand its route to a total of 11 cities from D.C. starting Dec. 15.

“As the public continues to search for ways to stretch their dollar, Megabus.com will now be able to deliver a greater travel value to the residents of the Washington, D.C. area and the surrounding cities,” Dale Moser, president of Megabus’ parent company Coach USA, said in a press release.

One student, Beth Goldberg (SFS ’12) expressed interest in taking Megabus more often.

“If they offer more times, I would definitely consider using it,” she said.

Since its founding in 2006, Megabus.com has served more than 7 million customers. Its service expansion into the District adds another option to an already crowded market. Greyhound Lines Inc. and Peter Pan are currently the biggest names in bus service, offering the most trips in and out of the area. Similar to Megabus, BoltBus also offers $1 seats, and the Fung Wah bus, based in New York City’s Chinatown, is another alternative frequently used by students.

With an emphasis on catering to the modern traveler, Megabus offers free Wi-Fi and power outlets in all of its brand-new, environmentally friendly vehicles. It also allows people to book in advance online, and the early bird catches the worm; the sooner one books the trip, the cheaper the ticket.

egabus will also be contending with Amtrak’s rail services. While Amtrak offers transport to more cities, the cost is higher. A one-way ticket from Union Station to Boston on Dec. 21 starts at $70 on Amtrak. Booked today, the same trip on Megabus begins at $1.

Yet even with its cheaper price, not all students see Megabus’ expansion as more convenient. With fewer worries about delays, the train remains reliable when trying to get to a destination by a certain time, according to Goldberg.

“I like the train best; it’s quiet, and there is no traffic,” she said.

Jamie Martines (SFS ’13) who often travels home to New York during breaks, has found that regardless of which mode of transportation she rides, time is always a challenge.

“I have flown, I have taken the train and I have taken the bus; it takes the same amount of time, either way. Basically, you get what you pay for,” Martines said.