Candidates Enter Home Stretch

The outcomes of three of next Tuesday’s Advisory Neighborhood Commission elections could have a profound effect on Georgetown students, according to this year’s candidates. In fact, student participation is more critical this year than in any previous election, they said.

“The student vote is what makes electing other students possible,” ANC 2EO5 candidate Justin Wagner (COL ’03) said. “Those votes are going to be the ones that tip the balance and determine whether or not we have an open-minded and fair ANC.”

Wagner is running unopposed for ANC Commissioner Matt Payne’s (COL ’01) seat, which includes Alumni Square, the Jesuit community and Village C.

Along with Wagner, Justin Kopa (COL ’03) is also seeking an ANC seat in District 2EO4. The district, which includes Harbin and Copley Residence Halls, has over 200 students registered. His opponent, incumbent Barbara Zartman of East Cloisters, has held the position for the last two years.

“This year’s election is unique because I am running opposed against someone who most students feel is not the best representative for the student body,” Kopa said. “The biggest difference between the two of us is that I am a student, and I will be able to relate to the students better.”

Zartman has not supported students holding positions on the ANC. According to Campaign Georgetown, she is in favor of the university releasing off-campus students’ addresses and automobile license plate information. She also endorses the university asking students to sign waivers allowing their parents to be notified if they are found guilty of violating university policy. Zartman has also been involved in the neighborhood movement to persuade the Board of Zoning Adjustment to reject the university’s 10-Year Plan on Nov. 8, compiling letters and authoring papers representing neighborhood associations.

If elected, Kopa said his central priority would be promoting the equal rights of students but also stressing their equal responsibility in the community.

“Everyone who lives here is not a student, and we need to be respectful of their privacy and their property. But at the same time, we have a right to be here too, and that needs to be addressed,” he said. Kopa plans to take tangible steps to ensure that community members and their student neighbors have the opportunity to meet, voice concerns and socialize through community meetings.

The goals of his campaign include bridging the gap between student and non-student residents, holding negligent landlords responsible for their property, approving the 10-Year Plan and maintaining a clean, safe Georgetown, while preserving the historical element that distinguishes the area.

Similarly, Wagner believes his most important job on the ANC will be serving as a mediator between the university and the community.

“I’m going to work hard for student’s rights, but I am also going to focus on fostering a better community on a larger scale,” Wagner said.

In District 2EO3, Georgetown alumna Regina DeMeo (SFS ’94) is running against current ANC commissioner Peter Pulsifer. DeMeo, who is in favor of the Charity Block Party and the university’s 10-Year Plan, has said that she wants to work with students and make them feel like they are part of the community.

Campaign Georgetown has spent much of this year attempting to increase the number of students involved in local politics. In particular, they have particularly tried to gather support for Kopa and Wagner’s campaigns.

“I can’t even explain how important this year’s election is because this commission will be the one that decides a lot of the important issues, like zoning laws and the Block Party,” Co-Chairman Brian McCabe (SFS ’02) said. “There are only eight votes on the ANC so one commissioner could swing decisions either way . we need to be represented in those votes.”

Although McCabe expects high voter turnout because of the presidential election, he still encourages students to participate.

“It’s absolutely critical that students get out there and vote because those votes are the ones that are going to determine the direction of the ANC and ultimately, a lot of the town-gown relations,” he said.

On Nov. 7, Campaign Georgetown will sponsor shuttles to and from the polling station, located at Hardy Middle School. The shuttles will depart from Healy Gates every 10 minutes from 8 a.m. to 7:45 p.m.

Above all, Kopa said he wants students to make a statement through voting, regardless of who they want to be elected.

“It’s a great opportunity to have a say in what influences our lives directly, and that privilege should be taken advantage of,” Kopa said.