Condoms Pose the Real Danger

To protest the recent statements of Pope Benedict XVI regarding condoms and HIV/AIDS, some Facebook users have apparently threatened to send him millions of condoms. As a Catholic and a strong supporter of Pope Benedict, I am, of course, pretty upset about this.

odern thought – through its primary weapon, science – tells us that condoms reduce the spread of HIV. Fine. Pope Benedict, on the other hand, says that condom use increases the spread of HIV. This view, one European politician (of course) said, amounts to “premeditated murder.”

I don’t understand the hubbub over the pope’s statement – what he’s saying is common sense. People in this day and age preach the glories of “safe sex.” But in telling people to have safe sex, doesn’t that say something about (premarital, promiscuous) sex – that it is inherently dangerous?

Now, I can’t get into Pope Benedict’s mind, but I will present one of my own thoughts – that condoms, other contraceptives and, finally, abortion (that greatest of evils) all encourage moral hazard. For those of you who haven’t taken Microeconomic Principles, moral hazard is like having a safety net: You wouldn’t normally walk on a high wire – that’s dangerous. But if you have a safety net, you just might try it.

By saying that condoms increase the danger of HIV, perhaps what Pope Benedict was trying to get at was that condoms endanger people by taking a dark alley in a bad neighborhood and putting lights in it. Sure, the alley appears safer, and so you walk through it. But even with the lights, the fact remains: That alley is still in a bad neighborhood.

Having a condom gives you the idea that you might not catch something. And so, “feeling safe,” you are more inclined to engage in risky behavior. Ironically, when you do engage in risky behavior, your chance of catching something skyrockets. You would have been a lot safer – 100-percent safe – had you not engaged in the risky behavior at all.

But it was that condom that told you not to worry. And now, there you are – in the lion’s den.

The moral of the story is: Abstinence, not condom use, is the surest way to avoid contracting HIV/AIDS or anything else.

Regarding the Catholic Church’s policy concerning condoms, critics accuse the Church of being out of touch with reality. But as I have shown above, these critics are the ones out of touch with reality and common sense. Indeed, by ignorantly claiming that condoms are the salvation of Africa, modern secular thought essentially proclaims that playing with knives is OK so long as you put on protective gear. Consequently, millions of men and women have been and continue to be led to their deaths.

By preaching this nonsense, modern secular thought is the true criminal guilty of premeditated murder.

Such is modern thought. Modern thought preaches that racism is bad, but self-control of our bodies is impossible. And so modern thought throws condoms at us, discouraging self-control and encouraging the spread of disease.

Just as control of our prejudices must come from within, so too must control of our bodies come from within – helped especially by the grace of God. And so I follow Pope Benedict and say, to my brothers both here (especially in D.C.) and abroad (especially in Africa): Condoms are not the answer to HIV/AIDS. Ultimately, this disease has its roots in our lack of self-control, in the deficiency of our morals. And so we must have true discipline – self-control of our minds and bodies – if we are truly to fight, overcome and eradicate the terrible scourge of HIV/AIDS.

Hang in there, gentlemen – and may the grace of God help each and every one of you, myself included.

Brian Nafarrete is a senior in the College and an associate of Georgetown University Knights of Columbus and Georgetown University Right to Life.

To send a letter to the editor on a recent campus issue or Hoya story or a viewpoint on any topic, contact opinionthehoya.com. Letters should not exceed 300 words, and viewpoints should be between 600 to 800 words.