Construction Worker Injured in Accident

A construction worker was seriously injured Wednesday after he fell into a sewage backflow hole near Healy Gates.

The 18-year old man, who officials declined to identify, “accidentally fell into a hole and hit his head on a piece of metal” at approximately 4:30 p.m., according to D.C. fire department spokesman Alan Etter.

Etter said that the worker suffered a “critical head injury” and was transported to George Washington University Hospital for treatment.

The employee was working for Construction Trades Company, a subcontractor hired to complete various construction projects around campus, university spokesman Erik Smulson said.

GERMS assisted the victim at the scene, but the group’s Director of Public Relations Becca Davis (SFS ’06) declined to discuss details.

Director of Facilities Bob Robinson said that the victim was working on the installation of a back-flow preventer – a device that prevents water on campus from flowing into the city’s water system.

“The thoughts and prayers of the Georgetown University community are with the worker and his family,” Smulson said.

Representatives from Construction Trade Services could not be reached for comment.