D.C. Allocates Funds for Transit Projects

The D.C. Department of Transportation announced the funding of 10 transportation enhancement projects throughout the city on Thursday. DDOT is allocating about $2 million to transportation improvements for cyclists and pedestrians, scenic highways, historic sites and railways, according to a press release.

The 10 projects approved include the heritage trails of Cultural Tourism DC, bike outreach by the Washington Area Bicyclist Association,and improvements at the New York Avenue and Florida Avenue intersection by the North of Massachusetts Avenue Business Improvement District, according to the press release.

Cultural Tourism DC – a nonprofit that promotes D.C.’s heritage and arts – received $579,500 to fund the neighborhood heritage trail program this year, according to John Lisle, DDOT spokesperson. The program provides signs and trails at historic sites for self-guided tours in D.C. neighborhoods like U Street, Barracks Row and Columbia Heights, according to the Cultural Tourism DC Web site.

This year, the organization will be finishing the heritage trail in Tenleytown and starting a trail in the Georgia Avenue and 8th Street neighborhood near Howard University, according to Jane Levey, a historian at Cultural Tourism DC.

DDOT provided the WABA with about $142,000 to further bike outreach by making bicycles more available, provide bike parking and bike valet services for D.C. events, and design a “Room to Breathe” poster, according to Lisle. WABA will install bike parking at government agencies, private buildings and residential areas.

According Eric Gilland, executive director of WABA, the organization provided bike valet services at Inauguration festivities for more than 2,100 bikes, and will provide valet services for events such as the Cherry Blossom Festival and the Smithsonian Folk Life Festival with the DDOT funding. The “Room to Breathe” poster will be modeled after those shown in Copenhagen, Portland and New York City. The poster will show a street with cars, and then the same street with the same amount of drivers walking or on public transportation.

The NoMa BID received $200,000 to improve the area around the New York and Florida Avenue Intersection with landscaping, lighting and signage. According to Rachel Davis, marketing and events manager for the business improvement district, about 100,000 people go through the intersection each day, and the improvements are geared toward making the intersection safe for cars and pedestrians.

The conversion of an alley into a rain garden by Friends of Hardy, the restoration of murals at Barracks Row Main Street and other improvements made by the District Department of Parks and Recreation, the National Museum of Women in the Arts, the Tivoli North Business Association, Mount Pleasant Main Street and the Downtown Business Improvement District received funding, according to the DDOT press release.”