D.C. Archbishop Addresses Jewish Relations

Jews and Christians should recognize their common heritage in Abraham to deepen inter-religious understanding, Cardinal Theodore cCarrick, archbishop of Washington, said yesterday in a speech in Copley Formal Lounge.

The lecture, part of the newly-endowed Hal Israel Lecture Series on Jewish-Catholic relations, emphasized the moral, religious and historical bonds that the two faiths share.

McCarrick opened his speech with a relevant anecdote about his mother. Growing up on the lower east side of New York City, cCarrick’s mother and her brothers and sisters earned some extra money by turning electrical appliances on and off for Orthodox Jewish families before and after the Sabbath. McCarrick said the job gave his mother an appreciation and respect for the Jewish people that she passed onto him.

“She was so filled with the fidelity and perseverance of those people,” McCarrick said. “They knew how important it was not to lose their Jewishness.”

McCarrick described the importance of Abraham as the founding figure in Judaism, Christianity and Islam, focusing specifically on points of unity between Jews and Christians. He said he admires Abraham not only as the founder of the three major religions, but because he spoke directly to God.

“Our holy father made his covenant with the holy people of Israel and he’s never changed his mind,” McCarrick said. “And that’s why they’re special – because he’s with them and he always will be.”

He noted that in the first Eucharistic prayer of the Catholic ass, Abraham is acknowledged as “our father in faith.”

McCarrick emphasized the importance of Abraham in the landmark Vatican II document, “Nostra Aetate,” which condemned anti-Semitism and other religious persecution and opened dialogue between Catholics and Jews for the first time.

He called further attention to the fact that “Nostra Aetate” and the dialogue between Catholics and Jews continues to be a force in the Church with regard to current issues like terrorism, violence in the Holy Land, family values and the sanctity of all human life.

“These meetings have had such an importance to our continually growing and understanding each other,” he said.

McCarrick also highlighted the work of Pope Benedict XVI in continuing the work of his predecessor the late Pope John Paul II in maintaining dialogue between Christians and Jews.

McCarrick said that increased understanding between Christians and Jews was needed for unity among the faiths in the political arena.

“I think sometimes, on the political level, you can not make as much progress unless you’re on the [some] human and spiritual level,” he said.

McCarrick ended his lecture with a call for continued mutual respect and love between Jews and Christians.

“I could do no better than to end with a prayer that all the children of Abraham will soon be able to live in peace and justice and in mutual respect and love,” McCarrick said.

The lecture was sponsored by the Program for Jewish Civilization and the School of Foreign Service.