Davis Convenes New Club Union

For the first time, GUSA will convene a meeting of representatives from all officially recognized student organizations in an effort to facilitate greater communication between student government and student organizations Wednesday.

GUSA recently fell under fire from reform-minded proponents of the proposed Yard Student Association for what they said was a failure to include student organizations in student government.

The meeting, called by GUSA President Tawan Davis (COL ’01), is currently scheduled to take place in the Leavey Program Room, but efforts are being made to move it to the Philodemic Debate Room in Healy Hall.

According to GUSA Communications Director J.P. Hornbeck (COL ’03), Davis originally planned to convene the Union earlier this semester, but ran into what he called “pragmatic” scheduling issues related to the proposed Yard Constitution. He said he could not speak for past administrations as to why the Union had never been previously called.

“We need to be as inclusive as possible,” Hornbeck said.

GUSA vice president-elect Brian Walsh (COL ’02) said that he and president-elect Ryan DuBose (COL ’02) have not decided if they will continue to convene the Union.

“We plan on seeing the effectiveness of the Union,” he said.

Walsh said he did not think the Club Union is a step by GUSA to co-opt some of the Yard’s proposed ideas.

“I don’t think that student government should be a GUSA versus the Yard thing,” he said. “I don’t think it would be stealing anyone’s thunder.”

GUSA Chief Advisor for Internal Affairs Eric Rivers (COL ’02) said the Union is an attempt to alleviate “concenrs with GUSA.”

The meeting, officially called the Club and Activities Union, will allow representatives of student organizations to present and vote upon non-binding resolutions and also present current campus issues to GUSA officials. All members of the GUSA Executive Cabinet and Legislative Assembly will be invited to the Union.

Officially recognized student organizations are those overseen by the Student Activities Commission, the Media Board, the Performing Arts Advisory Council, the Volunteer and Public Service board, the Advisory Board for Club Sports, the Georgetown Program Board and InterHall, which represents residence halls.

Under the GUSA Constitution, Davis is required to convene the Club and Activities Union “at least once a month to discuss campus wide-club and student issues.”

According to a press release released last night, the agenda for the meeting will include discussion of student activities funding, the upcoming Report on Student Life, which will address current campus issues, future student government structure initiatives and a report from GUSA about what has been accomplished under Davis’ and Vice President Jacques Arsenault’s (COL ’01) administration.

DuBose and Walsh will be sworn in Monday at Fountain Day.