DeGioia Named One of Year’s Top Washingtonians

Washingtonian Magazine named University President John J. DeGioia one of the city’s Washingtonians of the Year last month in recognition of his stewardship of Georgetown and the relationship he has cultivated between the university and the D.C. community.

The article on the 12 Washingtonians of 2008 was published in the January issue of Washingtonian Magazine.

Since 1971, Washingtonian magazine has named local figures Washingtonians of the Year for “their time and talent to make this a better place for all.”

In the article, Washington Magazine cited DeGioia’s involvement with the Meyers Insitute, one of the many programs that follows the university’s Ward 7 Initiative which, according to the Office of the President’s Web site, “focuses on strengthening partnerships with Ward 7 schools, community organizations and other partners to build a broad network of support for Ward 7 students and families.”

“In 2007, the scope of its Meyers Institute for College Preparation, an outreach program providing academic help, counseling, mentoring and family support to D.C. seventh graders, more than doubled,” the article states.

Current Ward 7 programs in addition to the Meyers Institute include DC Reads, Jumpstart, Community Scholars, and After School Kids.

“It is very important to Georgetown that we are a good neighbor and continually look for ways to strengthen and support our local community; there are a wide range of initiatives and activities in which Georgetown is involved throughout the metro region,” University Spokesperson Julie Green Bataille said.

The magazine also lauds DeGioia for the international expansion of Georgetown.

“To prepare students for globalization, Georgetown has expanded its international reach with a campus in Doha and a joint program with universities in London. More than 130 countries are represented on campus. The university has a full-time imam and on the Jewish High Holy Days, one of the city’s biggest congregations on campus.”

The Washingtonian article also noted many of DeGioia’s other achievements in the seven years since he was named president in 2001, including increasing financial aid and expanding research endowments.

The 12 2008 Washingtonians of the Year also included Linda Mathis, the CEO of the American Red Cross of the National Capitol Area, Doreen Gentzler, a Channel 4 news anchor and Shawn Springs, cornerback of the Washington Redskins.