DPS: Anti-Gay Graffiti Found in Copley

The discovery of graffiti containing anti-gay language in Copley Hall was reported to the Department of Public Safety Wednesday afternoon. According to Sergeant David Ruiz of DPS, the markings were reported to the Metropolitan Police Department’s Gay and Lesbian Liaison Unit Thursday morning for further investigation. “The complainants believe it was just a random act. The words that were spray painted were `fag’ and `gay,'” Ruiz said in an e-mail. Copley Hall Director William Colona notified residents of the incident Thursday afternoon. “Yesterday a resident reported bias-related graffiti on a wall related to sexual orientation. The Copley Residence Life team is very disappointed that this occurred after the conversations had within the safety of our walls last week surrounding tolerance, bias, and how hateful words and actions have an impact on our community,” Colona said in an e-mail to Copley Hall residents. It was the fifth bias-related incident reported to DPS since Oct. 27. On Oct. 27, a female student was assaulted on Canal Road while reportedly wearing a T-shirt supporting gay rights. On Nov. 1, a student was assaulted near the intersection of 36th and N Streets. According to a Public Safety Alert, the victim was asked “Are you a homo?” before being physically assaulted. On Nov. 2, a note that included an anti-gay slur was left on the door of the LGBTQ Resource Center. On Monday, a student was verbally harassed by four men near the intersection of 37th and Prospect Streets on the basis of perceived sexual orientation.