Dubose,Walsh Outline Goals for Coming Year

When GUSA president-elect Ryan DuBose (COL ’02) and vice president-elect Brian Walsh (COL ’02) assume the executive offices later this semester, they plan to devote their administration to strengthening Georgetown University for the benefit of the entire student body.

In the document entitled “Ryan DuBose and Brian Walsh: A Plan of Action for Our Administration,” they outlined their goals for the remainder of the year as well as next year.

“This entails strengthening our academic integrity, revitalizing our Jesuit heritage, highlighting our diverse student talents and creating a positive overall campus environment, so that we have a university that educates the whole person,” they wote in the document.

Currently, DuBose and Walsh are working to fill the nearly 100 appointed positions in GUSA.

“We want all students to become active members of their student government . no experience is required, we want to get many energetic and dedicated people involved to help us make Georgetown the great university that we know it is,” they wrote.

DuBose and Walsh said that one of their main goals this semester is to create a safer campus by expanding and enhancing the SafeRides program and evaluating the efficiency of other campus security measures like cameras, call boxes and dorm access.

By the end of the school year, they said they also hope to create a comprehensive Web site for students and produce an e-mail preference system so that students will be better informed about campus activities and events. Additionally, they said they would like to meet with members of the community and city officials to continue communication between neighbors and students and invite neighbors to take advantage of the university’s resources. They also said they hope to develop a working relationship with members of the administration, including University President-elect John J. DeGioia.

DuBose and Walsh plan to ensure that the Georgetown One Card, which would allow students to pay for nearly all on-campus expenses with a single card, will be implemented next fall, as Margie Bryant, associate vice president for auxiliary services, has indicated. First considered by GUSA in fall 2000, the proposal has been held up by problems coordinating services between various organizations

DuBose and Walsh said that they will work over the summer and next year to ensure the completion of the Village C Formal Lounge project, which plans to create a large recreational lounge in the dorm. They said they also intend to work with the Main Campus Space Committee in creating a plan for the use of the New South cafeteria that will be centered on student needs and interests.

Other goals for next year include developing a comprehensive off-campus housing database for students, planning more events to strengthen Georgetown’s identity through monthly community building spirit events, increased Jesuit-student interaction and placing picnic tables throughout campus.