Economics Major Wins Prestigious Scholarship

Christopher L. Griffin, Jr. (SFS ’02) was recently named one of 20 recipients nationwide of the Beinecke Brothers Memorial Scholarship.

Griffin, a junior majoring in international political economy major, intends to use the scholarship to attend graduate school, where he would like to continue his studies in political economy. Griffin is currently studying philosophy, politics and economics abroad at Oxford University’s Pembroke College.

“I am absolutely thrilled by the scholarship win,” Griffin said. “It has been a distinct privilege to represent Georgetown in the scholarship competition.”

The Beinecke Brothers Memorial Scholarship Program was established in 1971 by the board of directors of The Sperry and Hutchinson Company to honor Edwin, Frederick and Walter Beinecke. The scholarships are awarded to students for graduate study in the arts, humanities and social sciences. The award includes $30,000 for graduate school plus $2,000 prior to entering graduate school.

“[Griffin] embraces the quest for learning that Georgetown seeks to give all its students,” University President Leo J. O’Donovan said in a press release.

Griffin, a 21-year-old Tampa, Fla. native, is the first Georgetown student to win this prestigious national scholarship award. Griffin said he would like to attend Harvard’s John F. Kennedy School of Government or Princeton’s Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, both of which offer Ph.D. programs in political economy. After graduate school he said he plans to pursue a career that will include a combination of significant research at the university level and public service in a major government agency.

Although originally enrolled in the SFS as an international politics major, upon taking his first economics course Griffin said he “was immediately attracted to the elegance and rigor of economic theory.”

“Undoubtedly, my principles of microeconomics course with Professor Roger Lagunoff convinced me to pursue economic studies at Georgetown,” Griffin said.

After exploring courses in international relations and learning about the political dimensions of economic affairs, Griffin decided to focus his studies on strategic behavior in the context of achieving collective action. Griffin said he will research various aspects of international economic institutions and multilateral trade agreements in preparation for his senior thesis.

After submitting an initial application for the Beinecke Scholarship, Griffin learned in February that the Georgetown selection committee had chosen him as the university’s nominee for the scholarship.

The application process involved submission of Griffin’s transcript, a personal statement, three recommendations, a financial aid form and the university’s endorsement.

“In the end, I realized how important Georgetown and its commitment to excellence have been in shaping my current academic interests and values,” Griffin said.

Griffin has been involved on campus as a member of the International Relations Club and the College Democrats. He said he has devoted the most energy to the development of the John Carroll Scholars Program, serving as the student chairperson, chair of the constitution committee and member of the selection committee for the Class of 2004.