Editorial Board Propogates Stereotypes

In response to “A Whale of a Distraction,” (THE HOYA, Jan. 29, 2008, A2), I wish to bring attention to a crude stereotype. The Editorial Board criticized the Lecture Fund for choosing to host a “laughable and frivolous” event. I laugh at the Editorial Board for taking itself too seriously and for encouraging the only prejudice allowed on our tolerant campus to rear its ugly, mousy head: belittlement of the blonde cheerleader. Your editorial sheds light on a very serious issue. Calling a working actress “Marine Biologist Barbie” demonstrates your inability to look beyond a person’s hair color before judging his or her intelligence. Does the Editorial Board find judging hair color very different than judging skin color, ethnicity or sexual orientation? You do not take issue with her celebrity or lack of education. Had George Clooney spoken about genocide in Darfur, no one would question his seriousness. The presence of a blonde, “fake” cheerleader on our campus does not give you the authority to make cheap jokes about her appearance. After all, you once had a blonde “fake” cheerleader write a story for you. Two years ago, you asked me to attend a Redskins cheerleading tryout and write an article for your publication. The only purpose of this article was to offer some comic relief for this serious, esteemed campus. (See “Bring It On, Indeed; Cheerocracy in D.C.,” THE HOYA, Apr. 21, 2006, A3). Do you find this article any different than the Lecture Fund’s choice to bring an interesting and unique event to campus? If so, the Editorial Board has lost more than its sense of humor. Shame on them for taking easy shots at a young girl trying to make a difference. But more importantly, shame on THE HOYA for forgetting your own illustrious comedic history. Once upon a time, your jokes were funny. Katherine Boyle (COL ’08) Jan. 29, 2008