ESPN Trivia Master Speaks on Fantasy Sports, BCS Snafus

Image Contributor
ESPN’s Howie Schwab

For the sports trivia enthusiast, one name reigns supreme.

Wednesday, the Georgetown University Lecture Fund sponsored a visit from ESPN sports personality Howard “Howie” Schwab. Schwab, who is best known for enthusiastically competing against his challengers on his ESPN trivia show “Stump the Schwab,” is considered “the sultan of sports trivia.” Schwab boasted a 64-16 record on his show, which ran for four seasons from 2004-2006. “Stump the Schwab,” which is hosted by Stuart Scott, can currently be seen on ESPN Classic.

Schwab initiated the lecture in unique fashion, as he discussed ESPN as a working environment.

“A great thing about ESPN is a lot of people are passionate. . Everyone on our team is important,” Schwab said of the sports empire based in Bristol, Conn.

The St. John’s graduate proceeded to discuss additional sports media outlets. Although Schwab has been a prominent member of the ESPN community since 1987, he by no means disparaged alternative sports outlets. “I’m glad the FOX channel exists,” he said. “As a fan, you should have more options.”

Schwab then invited four members of the audience to participate in a modified version of “Stump the Schwab.” The four contestants were tested on an array of sports topics, as they were asked to name all 16 current AFC head coaches, the 14 different NCAA basketball national champions since 1988 and all the Heisman Trophy winners since 1985. Although Schwab only served as the host of this competition, he awarded the winner with a book written by his close associate and college basketball enthusiast Dick Vitale that commemorates the best players and moments in NCAA basketball history.

Throughout the lecture, Schwab commented on a wide span of sports issues ranging from the problems of the BCS system to the impact of fantasy sports.

“[Fantasy sports] adds to the interest of the game,” he said. “It’s fun to beat your friend or co-worker.”

Additionally, Schwab discussed the controversial trend of underclassmen declaring for the NBA draft, as he argued many leave the college environment prematurely.

“When 70 undergrads enter the draft, they are obviously not math majors,” Schwab joked.

The lecture was well-received by the large audience, and Schwab had no trouble drawing student participation and feedback.

“He was very engaging and kept it interesting with his stories while discussing a whole variety of issues in the sports world,” Justin Eisenband (MSB ’12) said. “And he knows everything about sports.”

At the conclusion of the presentation, the lecture fund presented Schwab with a Roy Hibbert jersey. Schwab promised to wear the jersey on his ESPN “First Take” segment entitled “Couch Potato,” where he routinely previews the weekend’s premier sports action. Schwab often wore jerseys from various teams throughout “Stump the Schwab.”