Family of Brothers

The red and white striped walking canes might give it away. Or perhaps the

“skeeeeeee weeeee” calls to ladies in pink and green might let you know.

Whether it’s through the paraphernalia or activity programming, Black Greek Letter Organizations – fraternities specifically tailored to the black community – are alive and thriving at Georgetown.

About a dozen Georgetown students are involved in historically BGLOs for a variety of reasons, even though Georgetown does not officially recognize Greek life on campus.

Mark Jean (NHS ’05) calls his fraternity a place to form “a bond.”

Jean became a member of Kappa Alpha Psi in spring 2002 after he “saw what the Kappas on campus were doing, and what the organization stood for . and that really resonated in my spirit.”

Inspired by the African American male businessmen, preachers, doctors and lawyers in the fraternity, Jean said that he felt that he would be pushed to be the best and would receive encouragement from a group of people who understood him and truly cared.

In this way, people like Jean say that black Greek life has helped them bond as sisters and brothers. Not only do these organizations stand as symbols of black culture, but they often plan events and activities to celebrate this.

The most active of the black fraternities on Georgetown’s campus are the Kappa Alpha Psi with six members, Alpha Kappa Alpha with five members and Delta Sigma Theta with one. In past years membership numbers have fluctuated.

Whereas most college fraternities are stereotyped as characterized by Greek houses, boisterous parties and collegiate camaraderie, members of Georgetown’s BGLOs say that black fraternities and sororities have an added element. They were established – many of them first in the District – as a way to foster lifelong sisterhood and brotherhood among black students as well as providing opportunities to network and to give back to the community.

Stomping to the complex rhythm of step routines, many students in BGLOs spend late hours perfecting this age-old cultural expression of rhythm and dance, for example. But they also roll out of bed early to participate in community service projects for the homeless and others.

Despite the positive aspects of BGLOs, negative stereotypes also accompany the groups.

Jennifer Fisher (COL ’05), a member of the Nu Alpha Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, said that many fraternal organizations in general are stereotyped as being entirely social and nothing else.

“Georgetown boasts about diversity and has been called one of the best universities for black students, yet it often fails to support issues that are most important to us,” she said.

Thus Fisher and other students look to BGLOs to build support networks and friendships.

But some administrators are opposed to fraternal organizations altogether.

According to Martha Swanson, Georgetown’s director of student programs, building networks is something that should be open to all in the university, not just those who make it into a fraternity or sorority.

“The university believes in open organizations and inclusiveness,” she said. “Any organization that does not allow anybody to join and has a kind of secret ritual around it doesn’t live out the values of Jesuit education the way Georgetown sees it.”

But while administrators have declined to offer official university recognition to BGLOs, student members insist that there are few organizations that they would rather be involved in.

“One of the biggest benefits is that you have so many opportunities to form lifelong relationships with so many different people, all while knowing that you are doing things to better your community,” Renee Coleman (NHS ’06), who is president of the Omicron Pi Chapter, said. “Service to all mankind is our primary focus, and even though it’s fun to fellowship with other Greeks, serving the community is our passion.”