Former Polish President Joins SFS

Former Polish President Aleksander Kwasniewski joined Georgetown’s faculty earlier this month when he was named a distinguished scholar in the practice of global leadership by the School of Foreign Service on March 7.

Kwasniewski, who served as Poland’s president from 1995 to 2005, will likely host lectures and could teach classes, according to SFS administrators. He shares his title with several other prominent SFS faculty, including former Spanish Prime Minister Jose aria Aznar.

“I welcomed the invitation to join the Georgetown community with great interest and enthusiasm,” Kwasniewski said in a press release. “The university has been a center of renowned faculty, famous graduates and great achievements for many decades.”

SFS Dean Robert Gallucci said that University President John J. DeGioia approached him regarding a position for Kwasniewski, whose appointment was met with “interest and enthusiasm” from faculty members.

“When you have someone who has been head of state, head of a country, you have something unique and different that they will bring,” Gallucci said.

Gallucci said that Kwasniewski’s specific role on campus has yet to be decided. He said the former leader will speak about “anything he would have had to deal with as president,” including Poland’s changing political role within Europe, relations between the United States and the European Union, international politics and globalization.

Douglas Shaw, director of public policy for the President’s Office, said that the university hopes that Kwasniewski will arrive on campus within the next few weeks.

Kwasniewski joins Aznar, former National Security Advisor Anthony Lake and former Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright as part of what Gallucci called a “cherry-picked” faculty, giving students the benefit of “the experiences of the practitioner.”

Kwasniewski left office last December when his term expired. During his tenure, he served as an ally to the United States during the invasion and reconstruction of Iraq.

Kwasniewski is considered by some experts to be among the top candidates to replace United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan when his term expires at the end of the year. The speculation that Kwasniewski could serve as secretary-general “indicates to some degree a respect to him that extends well beyond Poland,” Gallucci said.