From the Warm Waters of Puerto Rico to the Potomac

Name: Marco TeixidorSport: Sailing

Hometown: Guaynabo, Puerto Rico

Class: MSB ’10

ajor: Finance/ International Business

High School Career: Competed in six world championship races, representing Puerto Rico. Played soccer and basketball.

GU Career: Crewed for Chris Behm (MSB ’08) in last year’s spring national championship run.

Why sailing?

y dad was the one that got me involved in sailing. He crossed the Atlantic when he was 32 years old . So he’s always been sailing competitively and he got me involved in it. Ever since, I’ve been liking it and sailing a lot.

Where did you live freshman year?

I lived in Village C East. My roommate was French, but he moved out second semester because he thought the room was too small for both of us. It was alright.

What is it like sailing here?

The venue here is not the greatest. It’s challenging; it sort of benefits us when we go to competitions. We’re prepared for conditions that aren’t favorable to the sailor.

And how does it compare to Puerto Rico?

Puerto Rico is . The temperature never goes below 80 so it’s hot year-round. The wind is more consistent. It’s always pretty windy and lots of waves. It’s pretty nice.

Do you do anything special to prepare for regattas?

I really don’t have any [superstitions]. I listen to my iPod before I go sailing but I’m not that much of a superstitious person . Songs that motivate me, new songs that come out and pump me up.

Did your boat ever sink?

No. But one time, my freshman year I didn’t have boots because I never sailed with boots in Puerto Rico or ever before because where I sail it was never cold enough to wear boots. I did a regatta at Hobart [in upstate New York] and I didn’t have any boots and it got to 35 degrees and afterwards, I had to come back in and ask somebody for boots because I didn’t have any. It was pretty embarrassing. Now I’ve gotten used to sailing with boots. It’s a must.

Is there a team joker?

I would say Evan Aras, he’s a sophomore. He just has something funny to say about everything. He makes jokes all the time. He’s pretty funny . [Head Coach] Mike [Callahan] is pretty funny, too. He likes to have a good time.

Besides the weather, how is here different from Puerto Rico?

ostly, I miss the beach. I miss going to the beach and hanging out with my friends. I guess Georgetown’s missing those two things.

What do you do around Georgetown for fun?

I hang out with my sailing friends at the sailing house. I hang out with my roommates, too; we go out at night. Go to basketball games, obviously, when I can.

Booey’s or Wisey’s?

I would have to say Wisey’s since I live so close to Wisey’s. I like both of them, but if I had to choose, Wisey’s . Burger Madness with no mayo.

cCain or Obama?

Well, actually I can’t vote because I’m Puerto Rican so, I would say Obama if I could vote.