Georgetown Blanks Towson

This weekend at the Baltimore-Washington Challenge, the Georgetown men’s tennis team shut out Towson, 7-0 after losing to the University of Maryland-Baltimore County, 5-2. The women’s tennis team took on the best of the country at the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference Division I Invitational at Princeton and was dominated by the competition, losing 7-0 to West Virginia, Brown and Pennsylvania.

The men’s team outplayed Towson on Sunday, sweeping all singles and doubles matches. Junior Nick Sklavounos defeated Bryan Rowland, 6-4, 6-1, at the first singles postion. Sophomore Marc Lohser led the Tigers’ Trey Ragase 6-1, 4-1, at the second singles position before Ragase retired. At third singles, sophomore Troy Crichlow blew away Josh Hamilton, 6-1, 6-1. The first doubles team of Sklavounos and Lohser took out the Towson team of Rowland and Ragase, 8-5, while the second doubles team of juniors Andre Benjamin and Ken Jordan defeated the tandem of Chris Rowland and Andrew Davis, 8-2.

In Saturday’s competition, the Hoyas earned points in singles competition from Lohser and Crichlow against the Retrievers. At second singles, Lohser got by Mikhail Kouznetsov in three sets, 6-0, 2-6, 7-6 (3), and Crichlow came up victorious against Eric Nudo in the third singles position.

The women’s team was unable to win a match against West Virginia in its last match of the tournament on Saturday. At first singles, freshman Jordan Botjer fell to the Mountaineers’ Helen Adams, 6-0, 6-4. Freshman Lara Madonia could not pull out her second singles match against Patricia Kempton, losing 6-3, 7-6 (7-4). Sophomore Meredith Bumpass lost to Anna Marie Underwood, 6-0, 6-0 at third singles. West Virginia won two of three doubles matches to take another point. The Hoyas’ second doubles team of Botjer and senior Julie Hom got the only victory, defeating Underwood and Adams, 8-6.

Earlier on Saturday, Brown swept both the singles and doubles matches in overpowering style. The Hoyas’ closest match was at second doubles which the Hoya team of Bumpass and freshman Anne Thompson took the Bears’ team of Bridget Barbera and Priscilla Zeff to a tiebreaker before falling 7-6 (7-5).

Georgetown began the Invitational on Friday against the eventual runners-up, Penn. The Quakers gave the Hoyas no room for error, sweeping them in seven games. In seven matches, Penn gave up a total of only 10 games to Georgetown.

The men’s team will next see competition at Duquesne on Saturday while the women will play host to Towson Saturday on the cDonough Courts.

Related Links

Men’s Tennis Team Page

Women’s Tennis Team Page

Men’s Tennis Schedule

Women’s Tennis Schedule