Georgetown Boosts Safety Precautions After Incident

Student guards cracked down on GOCard swiping for entrance into dormitories on Monday. Students were seen Monday lining up outside some building entrances to swipe.

“All of our guards have been advised to be on vigil,” said Doris Bey, associate director of the Department of Public Safety.

Lizbeth Chow (SFS ’08), a student guard in Village C West who was on duty Monday evening, said that she had been informed by superiors to take added caution, but that no new security policies had been implemented. Chow said that she made an extra effort to ensure that everyone entering the building swiped in or was signed in by a resident. She said most students realized the need for tight security and cooperated with the increased enforcement.

“People in general are taking it into their own hands,” she said.

Jeff Wright (MSB ’07), a student guard in Harbin Hall, said Wednesday that the level of security had not dropped off since onday.

“We have received several e-mails [from DPS] emphasizing how important it is that everyone swipes,” he said.

The university and MPD decided Wednesday to conduct joint exercises to practice responding to safety emergencies on campus. PD Second District Officer Barbara Cromer said that university officials gave the MPD blueprints of campus, which every Second District officer would carry with them in their vehicles.

Harrison said that MPD’s presence on campus will not increase.

The two parties plan to hold meetings to improve communication and identify the university’s most pressing security needs. PD officials also met with other universities in the District of Columbia Wednesday.

Harrison said DPS has increased patrols around campus. He said DPS is trying to increase its visibility with more random foot and patrol car patrols around campus at all times of the day. The patrols will be mostly outdoors, but random building patrols will continue, he said.

Georgetown has several methods of communicating with the campus community in the event of an emergency, said university spokesperson Julie Bataille. She added that the university’s Web site is the main tool for mass notification, but that the university also uses e-mail for more direct communication.

Shannon Dimascio, an employee at University Information Services, said that it usually takes “a couple of hours” for broadcast e-mails to be received once sent due to the large number of recipients.

Bataille added that Georgetown may, in cases of extreme emergency, activate steam whistles signaling for people to stay indoors, record messages on the university’s inclement weather and emergency hotline, send broadcast voicemail messages to faculty and staff, post notices on Georgetown University Television and distribute fliers at designated places.

“We are also in the process . of developing a system to be able to communicate with students via text messaging and cell phones in the event of an emergency. We hope to have a pilot program of that system ready by next fall,” she said.

Several students said on Tuesday night they continue to feel safe on campus despite the shooting. “It hasn’t really changed the way I do anything,” Brock Hayes (MSB ’08) said.

Jun Oh Yoon (COL ’08) said that he hasn’t changed his habits since the incident either.

“You can’t not live your life the way you used to,” he said.