Georgetown Drops Sixth Straight at South Florida

Heading into the thick of their conference schedule, the Georgetown volleyball team (11-14, 1-8 Big East) was unable to gain a victory Saturday at South Florida (12-5, 5-3). Although the sets were close, the Hoyas were unable to pull any out and fell in straight sets to the Bulls. The sets were competitive primarily because of the stellar performance of junior middle blocker Vanessa Dorismond, who finished with a match-high of 14 kills and a .303 hitting efficiency.

In the first set, the Blue and Gray gave South Florida all it could handle. After several lead changes in the early stages of the set, South Florida eventually forged ahead of the Hoyas at 17-16, when they went on a 9-3 surge to capture the set 25-19. Freshman outside hitter Paris Coleman had an impressive set with a .417 hitting efficiency and six kills.

South Florida’s momentum carried into the second set, as the Bulls won the first two points and pushed their lead to six points. Dorismond’s six kills and .455 set efficiency almost single-handedly kept the set close. The Hoyas kept chipping away and were able to cut the lead to 22-20. Unfortunately for the Blue and Gray, two consecutive South Florida kills and a Georgetown attack error gave the Bulls the second set, 25-20.

The third set unfolded similarly to the second set. The Bulls started quickly again and grabbed a 4-1 lead. That lead grew to seven later in the set before the Hoyas responded with a 5-1 run. After a kill from junior outside hitter Kortney Robinson closed the gap to two points, a Georgetown service error ended the set 25-22 and the match 3-0.

This defeat sent the Hoyas tumbling to their sixth straight loss. Georgetown now has a week off and will continue its Big East road-trip at Villanova next Saturday. Georgetown then returns to McDonough Gymnasium for its final two home games against Cincinnati on Friday, Nov. 6, and Louisville on Sunday, Nov. 8. At 11-14, the Blue and Gray need to win out to make it back to .500.”