Georgetown Prepares Study For Middle States Accreditation

Georgetown is currently preparing itself to go under a self-study and peer review to be completed by the spring of 2002 in what administrators are calling an effort “to appraise every aspect of its programs and services … in relation to the institution’s mission and goals.”

As a member of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, Georgetown is obligated to perform this evaluation every 10 years in order to continually study the goals, objectives, quality of learning and teaching, as well as ways of advancing the university. Passing the evaluation also ensures that the university will be able to continue receiving federal aid, according to University Provost Dorothy Brown.

The self-study, which is spearheaded by a steering committee led by Michael J. Garanzini, S.J., has begun the process of coordinating nine different task forces to address and examine specific issues at school and to report on how well Georgetown is “meeting its own standards and aspirations.”

“Every 10 years, a university is asked to evaluate what it is doing to meet its mission and provide the best possible education to its students . it’s an opportunity to ask serious questions and consider ways of improving and enhancing its educational programs,” Garanzini said.

Brown said the committees have “a great start on the review and students will be fully involved.” Robert Godsall-Myers (COL ’02) is a member of the steering committee. The committee will “try to utilize faculty, staff and students who are already working in the task force areas,” Brown said.

According to a cover letter from Garanzini, “the task is to provide analysis of these studies and to make recommendations for [the school’s] future.”

In order to fully evaluate the university, members from peer institutions will visit the school next spring and assess for themselves the self-study and write a final report of their own concerning the accreditation of the school.

Brown, who has chaired the accreditation of other universities in the past, says this self and peer evaluation process is “an opportunity and responsibility [of Georgetown] to assess the challenges, issues, strengths and weaknesses that will ultimately enhance and strengthen the school’s programs and policies.”

Current issues that might be addressed during the process include space concerns, alcohol issues, financial aid, student affairs and academic support services. All students, faculty and staff are welcome to attend the open meeting in the spring of 2002 to hear the results of the accreditation study.