Georgetown’s New Generation

While everyone gets a little nostalgic at the end of the academic year, probably not many are more nervous or excited than Ben Shaw (COL ’08), Ted Reilly (COL ’08) and Alicia Nelson (COL ’08). As the leaders of GUSA, the Corp, and Georgetown Emergency Response Medical Service, respectively, these three students will have a lot on their plates next semester. They took a break from their hectic schedules to answer questions that only a true Hoya could appreciate.

Nelson

If you could be any animal, what would you be?

I would be a pink river dolphin because they can kill crocodiles, and that’s awesome.

If a genie could grant you three wishes (excluding wishing for more wishes, wishing other people dead and bringing people back from the dead), what would they be?

First, I would wish for world peace. Second, I would wish for universal health care coverage. Third, I’d like a fire pole to go from the GERMS office to the ambulances. It would be excessive, but in a good way.

Altagracia or Ripai?

Ripai. There are fewer people in his Facebook group, and I always root for the underdog.

If you could pick three Jesuits to be on a deserted island with you, who would they be?

Brother [Joseph] Ritzman because he used to be the GERMS chaplain, and we miss him. Then Father [Christopher] Steck so he could bring Jack. And Jack would count as the third.

Favorite Corp drink?

UG Luv. It’s so good, I drink it even though I’m allergic to coffee.

Reilly

Either Shadow, the golden retriever from “Homeward Bound,” or the gopher from “Caddyshack.” I’m not sure why.

My first wish would be for the Philadelphia Eagles to win their first Super Bowl. My second wish would be to marry Scarlett Johansson. My third wish would be for Philly Pizza to expand into multiple places on campus (Hoya Court, Leo’s, my apartment, etc.).

Altagracia or Ripai?

Ripai, because I usually see him when I go to Leo’s for brunch. I appreciate that he wakes up early on the weekends for me.

Rev. [James] Walsh – he can sing some sweet tunes for us Chimes style. Rev. [Pat] Rogers – his homilies at 8 p.m. are fantastic (though I’m not sure how valuable this will be on a desert island). Rev. [Thomas] King – I’m pretty sure he had something to do with “The Exorcist,” and I’m going to want something interesting to talk about.

Favorite Corp drink?

The Anna K/Annie/Fanny – three different names, same great drink.

Shaw

You know, I really have mixed feeling about Jack the Bulldog, but I think I have to go with him. He just lays around all day, everyone on campus loves him, and he gets a great seat at basketball games. If you overlook the smell, that’s not a bad life.

First things first: I’d wish for Jeff and Roy to come back. I would also wish for two weeks of no school right before exams, so that everyone could get out and enjoy the weather, and then we might stand a chance of passing our finals. Finally, I guess I’d wish for more time at Georgetown, although with some of my grades this semester, I might just get that one.

Altagracia or Ripai?

Altagracia. It’s all about the smile.

I actually work at the Jes Res, so I’ve gotten to know all of them a little bit. I guess I’d have to go with Fr. Pat [Rogers], because he’d just crack jokes the whole time; Fr. [James] Schall, because if there are other people stranded on the island with us, he’d make them pull their weight; and Fr. [Otto] Hentz. You know if Otto Hentz is stranded on an island, Bill Clinton is going to make some calls.

Favorite Corp drink?

I guess I would have to say milk. I used to go into the Midnight ug right before they closed for the night to get a muffin and milk, and they would give me the milk for free. They’ve been charging me lately, though. I think the management cracked down.

– Interviews by Sarah Mellott