Giuliani To Give Address At Law Center Graduation

GRADUATION Giuliani To Give Address At Law Center Graduation By Tim Sullivan Hoya Staff Writer

Former New York City Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani will be one of the commencement speakers for Georgetown University’s Law Center ceremony in May, university officials said yesterday. Giuliani, Time Magazine’s Man of the Year for 2001, will appear alongside Washington Mayor Anthony Williams (D) at the commencement ceremony on Sunday, May 19 on Healy Lawn.

According to Giuliani Partners Communications Director Sunny indel, Giuliani is “very honored to have been asked to speak and is looking forward to it.” Giuliani Partners is a consulting firm founded by Giuliani in conjunction with Ernst and Young since leaving the mayor’s office in January.

Mindel said that Giuliani has not yet decided what the focus of the speech will be.

Assistant Vice President for Communications Julie Green Bataille said that Giuliani and Williams were selected because of their leadership in response to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks in New York City and Northern Virginia. Green Bataille said it is still undetermined whether or not the pair will receive honorary degrees because the board charged with bestowing them had not yet voted.

Giuliani will also be the commencement speaker at Syracuse University in May.

Giuliani, a Republican, was twice elected mayor of New York City, in 1993 and 1997, and was a candidate for the U.S. Senate seat now held by former first lady Hillary Rodham Clinton, but was forced to drop out of the race because he was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

Prior to his terms as mayor, Giuliani had served as U.S. Attorney for New York City where he earned national recognition for his efforts to curtail organized crime and white-collar crime. He also held the third-highest position at the Justice Department during the Reagan administration.

During his tenure as mayor, Giuliani received national accolades for the significant drop in New York’s crime rates, and he quickly became a national figure for the Republican Party, raising money and making appearances for candidates throughout the country. He came under criticism, however, in his second term after several incidents of alleged police brutality against minorities within the city.

Since Sept. 11, Giuliani has received numerous accolades for his leadership, including being knighted by England’s Queen Elizabeth. Because he is not a British citizen, however, he cannot be referred to as “Sir Rudy.”

Williams was elected mayor of Washington in 1998, succeeding arion Barry, and during his term, many of the city’s agencies emerged from receivership and direct congressional control. He appeared on campus at an interfaith prayer service on Sept. 13 with Washington Cardinal Theodore McCarrick and leaders from the Jewish and Muslim communities.

Georgetown’s Law Center often attracts high profile commencement speakers. In 2000, Secretary of State Colin Powell was awarded an honorary degree from the Law Center.