Graffiti Suspect Apprehended

The Department of Public Safety has identified a freshman student as responsible for the instances of Nazi graffiti in New South and Darnall Halls reported over the course of a week.

The student has been referred to the Office of Student Conduct, and the disciplinary process will remain confidential, according to university spokeswoman Julie Bataille.

On Sept. 6 and 11, the student drew graffiti featuring swastikas and the word “Hitler” on doors in New South, and a similar incident occurred in Darnall sometime between Sept. 11 and 13.

The incidents came between the Jewish holidays of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, but the incident was not motivated by bias against the Jewish community, according to a DPS officer who wished to remain anonymous due to the nature of the investigation.

“This happened due to immaturity and wrong judgment. The student was just playing around. It was a random act,” the officer said.

Eric Hoerger (SFS ’12), the Jewish Student Association’s vice president of social affairs, confirmed that the perpetrator did not target Jewish students.

“The incidents are isolated and completely unrepresentative of the warmth and respect [that] are core features of the Georgetown community,” Jesse Mirotznik (SFS ’12), co-president of JSA, said in a statement.

“Although such incidents take an emotional toll on students, we do not believe that they represent or imply any serious or tangible threat to the Jewish members of the Georgetown community.”

At a community meeting on Tuesday evening, administrators and faculty members commented on the serious nature of the crimes and steps the university was taking to address them. University officials in attendance included Todd Olson, vice president for student affairs, Fr. Kevin O’Brien, S.J., director of campus ministry, Rocco DelMonaco, vice president for student safety, Stephanie Lynch, director of the Office of Residence Life, and multiple chaplains-in-residence and resident assistants.

“Hall directors have sent out letters and are holding meetings to help service the community. We are following up with any students that might be affected,” Lynch said.

Administrators were particularly concerned due to the incidents’ similarities to others in recent years. In March 2009 in two separate incidents, the Schutzstaffel (SS) symbol was drawn in the Village A mailroom and spray painted onto a wooden door on 3500 and P Street. A cross with an SS symbol drawn across it was also graffitied onto an exterior wall of the Leavey Center in the same month. In January 2008, a student awoke with a swastika drawn on his thigh.

DPS declined to officially comment on the details of the investigation. Olson declined to comment. The Office of Student Conduct was unavailable for

comment.”