GU Comes Up Short in Carolina Classic

After one match in North Carolina, the Hoyas had stretched their record to an impressive 3-1, but only managed to escape the tournament with an even record.

Georgetown (3-3) beat Davidson (1-5) convincingly on Friday night to open the Carolina Classic, but then dropped two matches on Saturday to North Carolina (3-3) and Missouri State (4-3).

“All in all, the weekend was a little disappointing for us,” Georgetown Head Coach Arlisa Williams said. “We did some good things but not exactly when we needed to do them.”

The Hoyas came out on fire for the weekend, picking up where they left off in last week’s D.C. Challenge. Georgetown made quick work of Davidson in three games, 25-20, 25-17, 25-14.

“Against Davidson we took care of the ball,” Williams said. “You’ll hear me say this all season – we passed well and we played well defensively.”

Junior outside hitter Jessica Hardy led the way with 10 of the Hoyas’ 33 kills and a .350 hitting percentage. Hardy also had eight digs, most of any Hoya.

“We weren’t quite ready for [Davidson’s] different style, so we got a little sloppy and a little confused,” Hardy said. “As the game went on we were able to make a lot of adjustments and became a lot more disciplined. We saw what are problem areas were, and we were able to adjust and execute.”

Freshman outside hitter Sara Manley had seven kills, and senior setter Caitlin Boland continued her solid play with 30 assists. As a team, Georgetown outhit Davidson .231 to .024 and led in virtually every other statistic.

Saturday against North Carolina was a different story, as Georgetown had a negative hitting percentage and no Hoya put away more than six kills.

The Tar Heels won the first three games by a score of 25-16.

That afternoon, Georgetown caught Missouri State by surprise in the first game, but eventually lost 28-30, 25-18, 25-21, 25-18.

According to Williams, Missouri State did not play well in the first game because it thought Georgetown would not present a challenge. The Hoyas registered 20 kills in the first game before Missouri State bounced back to take the next three games.

Hardy again led the way with 18 kills and 11 digs to her name, and Manley had 14 kills. Manley was coming off of an all-tournament performance at the D.C. Challenge, which were her first three collegiate matches.

“[Manley] did good things this weekend, but she also found out how fast Division I play is,” Williams said.

In the final match against Missouri State, senior middle blocker Katherine Niesen had 12 kills to go with three blocks. Niesen had six kills against North Carolina and put away five in the opener against Davidson. Niesen’s performance on the weekend was enough to garner all-tournament honors.

The Tar Heels won the tournament, as they beat all three opponents by a score of 3-0.

The Hoyas will play their first home games this weekend during the Georgetown Classic.

Williams said the team is looking forward to being back in the friendly confines of McDonough Gymnasium.

“We’re going to have a lot of family and friends,” she said. “And hopefully we’ll have plenty of fans.”

During the week, Williams said the team will practice to correct some of the team’s shortcomings from the Carolina Classic. In particular, she noted that they would be working on converting after successful digs and passes.

Friday night at 7 p.m. Georgetown plays host to St. Francis (N.Y.). Saturday they have a twin bill, with Morgan State at 1 p.m. and Brown at 7:30 p.m.