GU Finding Adjustment to Life in Big East Difficult

This past weekend, Georgetown softball underwent some necessary growing pains to help them embark upon this year’s historical quest.

The 2009 season marks an exciting time for the Hoyas because, for the first time ever, the formerly independent Georgetown will play as a member of the Big East conference. The Blue and Gray’s bright outlook for the year, however, took a damper on Presidents’ Day weekend, as the Hoyas opened the year by dropping five consecutive games at the Florida International Tournament in Miami, Fla.

Despite the weekend’s undesirable results, Head Coach Pat Conlan’s squad undoubtedly showed some promise for the future, as the young Hoyas mingled nicely with the team’s veteran core. Freshman Mackensey Carter pitched admirably in the season opener against Temple, allowing only two earned runs in 6.1 innings in her first start at the collegiate level. Sophomore third baseman McKinley Cooper led the offense by going 2-for-3 with a run scored.

Additionally, junior third baseman Dementria Cipriano and junior second baseman Kelsie Hanson, a highly touted transfer from the University of Akron, each drove in a run in the 6-3 loss.

The Hoyas also got their first taste of a conference opponent this past weekend, falling to Big East power St. John’s 7-0. The Georgetown offense was thoroughly stymied against the Red Storm, as Cooper and Cipriano managed the only two hits of the game for the Hoyas. On the mound junior Jennifer Connell took the loss, allowing seven runs (five earned) over seven innings.

Georgetown has also showed some resilience early on this season, as the Hoyas nearly mounted a successful comeback against tournament host Florida International. Trailing 5-3 in the top of the seventh inning, the Hoyas were able to load the bases twice, but were only able to drive home one run, thus surrendering to a 5-4 defeat.

After freshman outfielder Regan Page and Cipriano reached base to lead off the inning, Hanson moved the base runners into scoring position with a sacrifice bunt. Junior shortstop Samantha Peters proceeded to draw a walk, loading the bases for freshman first baseman Cara Savarese. After a passed ball allowed Page to score, Savarese singled to reload the bases, with the tying and winning runs in scoring position. However, FIU pitcher Kasey Barrett came on in relief to strike out junior catcher Suria Badahue and sophomore designated hitter Jillian Webb, sealing the deal for the Panthers.

The freshman recruiting class has shown considerable skill and talent thus far, as they proved this weekend their ability to compete against more experienced opponents. Savarese, tied for first on the team in batting average at .286, has already demonstrated her explosive offensive potential. Savarese recorded her first multi-hit game of her young career over the weekend, going 2-2 with a double and a run scored in the Hoyas’ 10-2 loss to Big 10 power Michigan State. Additionally, Mackensey Carter seems to have emerged as the team’s ace, as in two starts, Carter has boasted an ERA of only 2.84. Carter has also proved to be very durable, as she pitched a complete game in one of her starts while falling only two outs shy of a complete performance during her other start.

Also joining Savarese and Carter in the class of 2012 are Page, pitcher Ryan Crowe and catcher/outfielder Emily Rotolo.

This weekend the Hoyas will travel to Atlanta to partake in the Georgia State Tournament, where they will face Lipscomb, Georgia State and Eastern Kentucky.