GU Grad Charged With Drunk Driving After Crash Kills American U. Student

Recent Georgetown graduate Shelly Wentworth (NHS ’03) was charged with involuntary manslaughter and drunken driving after slamming into the back of the car of five other passengers and killing American University student Andrew Burr.

The accident occurred at approximately 9:30 p.m. Sunday night on the corner of Wisconsin Ave. and Edmunds St., where Wentworth, with a blood alcohol level of .13, hit the back of the car carrying 20-year-old Burr. After impact, Burr, riding in the back of the car, was forced forward through the windshield, according to witnesses.

Burr was immediately taken with one other passenger to The George Washington University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 9:40 p.m.

The other passengers in the car included Ahmed Nzibo, 21, Kyle Bastanchury, 24, Ryan Wisnor, 20, and Aram Richards, 20, the driver. These passengers all sustained minor injuries and were released soon after from Georgetown University Hospital.

Wentworth, 22, an All-American athlete and MVP of the Georgetown women’s sailing team, had her hearing Monday afternoon. She was freed on bail Monday under the condition that she does not drink or drive, and keeps to a 2 a.m. curfew.

Wentworth faces an upcoming trial on Feb. 6, until then she will be placed in a halfway house. She was also ordered to receive treatment for alcoholism.

Burr, a student from England who recently transferred to American University, was known around campus for being part of a popular punk rock band.

“A lot of people really appreciated him, and many people saw him as a great friend,” Todd Sedmak, director of media relations at AU, said.

“Our condolences go out to Burr’s family and all students who have become involved in this unfortunate situation,” he said.

American University is in the process of making plans to help students deal with Burr’s loss, according to Sedmak.

“We are making counselors available to students who are having a particularly difficult time dealing with this saddening event. This is standard procedure, as we are here for the students at all times,” he said.

Officials at American University are planning a memorial service for Burr, but details are still being worked out at this time.