GU Habitat for Humanity Opens N.E. Home

With an active membership of over 350 students, Georgetown University’s chapter of Habitat for Humanity has been a fundraising machine. They busy themselves not only by selling Krispy donuts in Red Square, but also by making a weekly trek down to Northeast D.C. to help in building projects. They also recently completed a major fundraising campaign resulting in “The House that Jack Built,” a dwelling which they funded themselves.

Over a period of five years, GU Habitat for Humanity raised $100,000 for the project. The remaining $25,000 needed was donated by the Home Depot. The group finally held a groundbreaking ceremony for the house on May 20, 2004.

On Dec. 4, members officially dedicated the house where D.C. Schools employee Angela Cohen and her children live today.

Sitting on the corner of 54th and Clay Streets, N.E., the house is a testament to Georgetown students’ dedication to changing lives.

“I think this truly shows the importance of making a difference beyond Healy Gates,” GU Miguel Alampay (NHS ’05), Habitat for Humanity co-president, said. “We are very grateful to all the students who helped to raise the funds for this house, for those that helped build, and we hope that we have made a difference in someone’s life in the process.”

Fundraiser Meg Behan (NHS ’06) commented on how countless hours of selling doughnuts resulted in a difference in people’s lives.

“It really felt like such an accomplishment when the house was dedicated to see that our volunteered time was an invaluable part of GU Habitat for Humanity,” she said.

Katy Conicella (NHS ’06) commented on the rewarding aspects of both raising money and building houses for families in need.

“It is amazing especially because we all come together as a school and successfully raised enough money to build a home for a family and help them realize their dreams,” she said.

Conicella explained how meeting and working with the future homeowner was her favorite part of the experience.

“Meeting Angie definitely made the build more personal and meaningful. All morning her appreciation was radiated through her big smile and enthusiastic attitude,” she said.

While the majority of funds going towards the building of the new house came from Habitat’s sales of Krispy Kreme doughnuts, Alampay and the other Habitat co-presidents Eric Smucker (COL ’05) and Matt Minor (COL ’05) worked hard to find alternate ways of acquiring additional funds for the building expenses.

“Krispy Kreme has been the staple for many years,” Alampay said, “but we are in the final stages of starting another project where companies institute employee matching programs.” Alampay explained that the funds raised will be matched by corporate donors.

“This will help fund more money for everything that we do,” Alampay said.

Additionally, the co-presidents have devised other creative methods of raising money, such as developing a partnership with Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream, where 15 percent of all purchases would go towards the Habitat for Humanity cause.

GU Habitat for Humanity has experienced increasing success since Alampay, Smucker, and Minor became involved in the organization three years ago. They had all wanted to become presidents of GU’s chapter, but realized after a summer conference that they could achieve their goals best while serving as co-presidents.

“We attended a summer conference at the headquarters of Habitat International in Americus, Ga., where Habitat was officially started,” Alampay said. “It was such a constructive experience, and we realized that we could divide our efforts and concentrate on different aspects based on our own experiences.”

Ever since, the three friends have taken Georgetown’s program to a higher level and are instituting new ideas and projects, taking the program to an international level and immersing themselves in different cultures.

For the first time this year, Alampay has organized an Alternative Spring Break trip allowing 15 Habitat for Humanity members to travel to Kingston, Jamaica and assist in area building projects.

“The coastal areas of Jamaica have suffered much damage due to the hurricanes this past fall and the area is in dire need of rebuilding,” Conicella said. “I think this is a great opportunity for students, especially those who did not study abroad, to get a taste of another country while providing service at the same time.”

Alampay expressed his gratefulness that Georgetown is sponsoring of the trip, helping students to be more globally minded.

“This experience will show us exactly how poverty extends beyond the United States and that it can be worse,” he said.

GU Habitat for Humanity members have traveled to New Orleans, La., during previous Spring Breaks, and while work in Jamaica will cost them more, the students are working on achieving necessary funding.

“Although the cost has increased, the Center for Social Justice has agreed to cover 40 percent of all grants and fundraising activities,” Alampay said. “We are very excited because all members will be involved in different aspects of building a different house each day.”

Alampay also said that this trip will be a contemplative experience, offering Habitat students the opportunity to reflect on their experiences with international poverty.

“The trip encompasses more than just hammering and nailing – it is an eye-opening experience for students, introducing them to a different environment, culture, and lifestyle,” Conicella said.

In any case, Georgetown Habitat continues its mission of changing the lives of people every day, whether at home or abroad.

“I feel that one of the reasons why students enjoy working for Habitat at Georgetown is that they do see the results – and very quickly,” Behan said.